Question Help on Integrated Amplifier Selection Please

Ascotbilly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning,

Thanks for recent suggestions on upgrading my system. I now have a dilemma.

Background Info
Room 2.5m x 3. Source 60% Vinyl through Rega Fono. Low usage of CD Player.
Speakers will be bookshelf £500-£800.
Budget Min £600 - £1000. "
Streaming" sources : No NAS, Amazon "Standard Stream" www Radio. CD's purchased through and on Amazon Music. I don't want a 2nd hand CCA or Raspberry Pi "project"
Can't see myself paying for HD streamer service for £20 or so a month as the music sources above will leave little time for another. Don't want 2nd CCA/Raspberry Pi "project"

Hopefully this will be a long term system so looking at new only.

I initially decided on an amp with built in streaming, the Vena Play 2 (thanks Snakeoil for input) was favoured with possible option of the Cyrus One Cast.
Couple of things putting me off the "one box" system are.
1.) How much value of the amp is made up by the streaming function, i.e. do I lose on amp quality to build in a streamer ? This has been highlighted by the recent purchase of a Rega Fono Stage to my current system which has been a great upgrade to th unbuild phono.
2.) The more expensive the streaming amp the more issues there seem to be with the software, whereas lower cost options such as a Teufel and Yamaha just seem to work.

So would an amp without streaming eg Rega Brio or similar with a Teufel / Yamaha or similar be a better option given my sources ?

I prefer the separate option personally. With a one box solution there is little scope to upgrade or indeed repair if anything goes wrong. The Brio is good option with the speakers you have and your TT 'Fono'. The Regas are entertaining shall we say and I love my Elicit-R. I've also listed to a Cyrus HD and did like that as well. It's very important that you audition whatever you consider.

I’d suggest a different way;

All told £1500.

And pretty much awesome.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Cheers Gibbsy,
I'm tending to move back to separates for your reasoning also.
My TT upgrade will be the RP3 / Elys so the Rega's are a good fit and I have a great local hifi to demo at. I've a small room would I benefit from switching from the Brio to Elex-R ? Have you a streaming option on your system if so what please ?

I’d suggest a different way;

All told £1500.

And pretty much awesome.

Cheers Paul, Self and a mate both had bad experiences with actives in the past so not going there. What would you suggest for a "conventional" amp to go with the WXAD10 please ?

Like the WXAD10 option, I've great experience with current Yamaha RN602 for streaming...it just works, whereas costlier amps I've looked at Audiolab, Arcam, Cyrus seem hit or miss when it comes to streaming..

Last edited:
In that case I’d stick with the WXD. It’s a top class streamer with no bloat and no extra pounds for dubious benefit.

As for amps...and speakers...

...this is is a bargain combination.

Alternatively, as your room is a bit on the small side, these would be useful.

and then this fine amplifier.

Brand new, from the manufacturer with a third off new price.

Ps, what actives did you have trouble with?

Ps, what actives did you have trouble with?
A Wharfedale bookshelf can’t recall the model. It was a few years ago so possibly early teething problem always heard a background “hum”.
However, the Kef LSX are smart !

Last edited:
Cheers Gibbsy,
I'm tending to move back to separates for your reasoning also.
My TT upgrade will be the RP3 / Elys so the Rega's are a good fit and I have a great local hifi to demo at. I've a small room would I benefit from switching from the Brio to Elex-R ? Have you a streaming option on your system if so what please ?
I don't stream, far too 21st century for an old fart like me. There's a fair step up from the Brio to the Elex, more headroom but I believe a beefed up power supply over the Brio.

@gibbsy - Haha, would the beefed up power supply translate to an improvement in sound "quality" or is it more of what levels I can drive the speakers too ? I've a small room so limited in volume levels. Would I gain much with the extra spend on the Elex ? Also the footprint on the brio is attractive.

The extra quality of the Elax will largely depend on the speakers you get.

The better the speakers, then the better the amp needs to be, as a rule, and the extra current from the Elax will prove useful with any low Ohm speakers.

It's how well the amp will respond to peaks and troughs, especially the troughs when the ohm loading really dips. This of course depends on how hard you drive both amp and speakers. I've got an Elicit-R and the dial has never been over 50%. The Brio is a fine amp.

@Paul7777x @gibbsy - Thanks I'm considering Dali Oberon 3 or Menuet...or another in similar physical size / £ range.

Been very impressed with the Rega Fono its made vinyl listening what I was hoping for so its made a very good case for a Rega amp.

The Menuets are considered something of a tiny legend.

Agree with Paul the Menuets are a formidable speaker and extremely well received. I have not listened to them personally.

Cheers guys,
I heard them on a demo I crashed and they sounded impressive and certainly would cover this upgrade and more.
A question for Paul given Gibbsys earlier comments.
The WXAD10 would connect directly into Line in Rega I don’t need additional DAC etc. Also display and control would be in form of app on phone / iPad ?

Last edited:
It’s always worth going the extra quids for better speakers...every time :smashin:

Yes, the WXAD connects to the amp the same as any other source. No dac required.

The app is one of the better ones too, not flawless, but certainly usable and non irritating.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
So far as it’s can tell the 303 offers DSD, a usb flashdrive reader and the option of a digital output.

That is all that is extra in comparison to the WXAD.

I have a preference for full size seperates, but unless you need DSD, a USB input, and/or a digital output then there is no need to spend the extra £130 over the WXAD.

Especially if doing so would slice into the speaker budget.

Also, the remote is redundant as the app is a good one: as for the display, again not really necessary with the app doing a much better job.

I’m a separates fan personally,when you get the dreaded upgraditis, at least you change one part at a time.

I have demo’d the Cyrus oneHd as a one box solution, really powerful sound, does everything well, but, I would suggest subtlety and refinement where not part of its repertoire. 😂

I tried the Naim Uniti Atom and Star, the sound was just not for me but you might love it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom