Help on importing a US player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by THX 2208, Aug 30, 2007.

1. THX 2208

THX 2208
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys new to the forum. My current set-up is a Pioneer PDP-436PE. Marantz 7600 DVD(HDMI) and SKY HD. I was thinking about the importing the Toshiba HD-XA2 from the US as 90% of my disks are R1. The main question I have is the XA2 better than the Marantz for upscaling SD disks or should I go for the US version of the EP10. Thanks

2. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,294
    hi, welcome to the forums

if this is of any use to you

i once had an arcam dv79 dvd player and i thought the upscaling on the toshiba HDA1 was pretty much as good as the arcam .. and within a couple of weeks i sold the arcam and bought my old pioneer 565 back cheap for PAL & other region disks :smashin:

i would imagine that the XA2 would be a better upscaler than my HDA1 as the XA2 apparently uses the far superior reon chip .. and going by some of the online reviews i have read .. i dont think you would be dissapointed.

best of luck

paul

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Did the 79 have upscaling? It has been a while since I have seen one....and the momory is not what it once was.....

The XA2 is a lovely player and pretty much the top of the DVD pile. Worth looking at the secrets test here, mind you the Marantz ain't bad at all.

4. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,294
    oops, should have pointed that out.

no the dv79 didnt upscale but did have HDMI .. IMO though .. the arcam non upscaling was as good as if not better than most of the newer upscaling players costing around the £600 mark (which im sure was the rrp of the marantz 7600)

i was just using it as a comparison .. as i was in the the same situation a year ago .. and was also unsure whether a £400 hd-dvd player could be as good as my £1000 arcam :)

paul

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Thought I was loosing my marbles for a minute, will have that drink tonight after all!! 79 was one of the great DVD players in my book but the XA2 is better.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
  7. THX 2208

THX 2208
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks think I will go for the XA2 but I still love my 7600 will use it for my small collection of R2 disks :thumbsup: