Help on head unit/steering control compatibility for iPod

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by AFCChris, Sep 14, 2007.

1. AFCChris

AFCChris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Can anyone tell me what I have to look for when buying a new head unit for my car (Citroen C4 picasso) if I want to attach an iPod to the rear or front aux input and change tracks with the steering wheel controls?

A mate told me it has to be a head unit with cd changer control so is that right? If I get one without this is there absolutely no way to change the track on the iPod?

Appreciate any help

Regards

Chris

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,275
    You need to look for a head unit with an iPod control option which will use the iPod dock connector. A head unit with a 3.5mm jack connection (like a headphone socket) will only play back what the iPod is playing but won't offer any way to skip/pause etc.
    If you want to use your steering wheel controls you will probably need an adapter specifically for your car and a head unit with that functionality.

Might be worth looking at this - but I have no experience of it
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/citroen-ipod-interface-p-4647.html

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    You could probably retain your current headunit and steering wheel controls by simply connecting the ipod to the headunit via aux in if your headunit has one but you would have to control the ipod via the unit itself and it wouldn't be charging in the car. Alternatively you could add something like dension icelink, harmon kardon drive + (New colour version 2 out later in the year) or add an ipod adaptor (as linked above).

If you buy a new headunit, I would suggest having a look at the Alpine iDA-X001 (there is a lengthy thread on this site) available here as it seems to be about the best headunit for ipod functionality (no cd player though). Other headunits that have ipod control hereAlpine seem to be the best at integrating with the ipod. I have a JVC DVD player plus Ipod adaptor and it works a treat. I can charge the ipod in car's glovebox and control it via the headunt/steering wheel remote. If you change the headunit, you will need an ISO adaptor for connecting the stereo, a facia adaptor, possibly ipod adaptor if your new headunit doesn't have the function built in plus a steering remote adaptor (for the latter connects2 and autoleads make them).