Help on final oled decision

Ld1978

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I’ve had a look through the posts but wanted to post my own. I’m not au fait with all the technology but have done some research:)

We are looking to buy a 55 oled approx 2k budget and think have narrowed it down to the LG b7 or the Panasonic. (Did like the Sony but want a separate sound bar)

We have Sky q so most content will be sky and also lots of Disney DVDs with the kids :) some films but we don’t stream anything (yet but maybe we will in the future)

I think we are going to buy the q acoustics m2 soundbase with built in sub so that counted out the Sony (seemed lovely but also heavier and bigger)

So what would you think is best for us being a family tv and a novice to TVs etc.

Thanks so much :)

I Think you resumed it very well and did your homework

The LG b7 and c7 are the best overall tv this year full stop. They are also the best value by a long shot

If you have space, go 65 as some forum members got the 65b7 for £2200!! Or it will reach £2k potentially soon

Black Friday coming soon so whatever you do, buy from someone that will give you money back if things go downhill.

Secondly, sky released a soundbox developed with devialet. Not perfect but worth investigating as sky customers get it very cheap relatively speaking. Ignore this comment if you getting soundbase for free with tv

Enjoy !!!

Thanks so much. So LG over the Panasonic for our needs?

I think we may struggle with a 65 as don’t have the biggest lounge and not sure we would be sat too close :)

Rocher Sounds have 100 quid off code but was thinking John Lewis as they will refund the difference in 28 days :)

I did see the sky one too. I’ve heard good
Things on the q acoustic m2 as has a built in sub. There is waaayyyy to much choice with these things ha ha!

Here's a quick overview on the strong points of each TV. Use this to help you make your decision.

LG B7:
- Best and fastest OS
- Most pop when watching HDR
- Brightest OLED TV
- Good build quality with solid stand
- 21ms input lag

Disadvantages:
- Motion is good but artifacts are visible
- Upscaling of low quality content for example SD/HD (720p at low bitrate will introduce visible grain)

Panasonic EZ952:
- Great upscaling
- Great colour accuracy out of the box
- Motion is great
- OS is fast and quick to respond
- 26ms input lag

Disadvantages:
- Obsolete looking OS
- Magenta tint on panel (no black filter)
- No Dolby Vision
- Cheap design

Tried these 2 TV's in their 55" models and love the fact that they sit right next to each other for a side by side direct comparison

The Demo's I had on my USB Stick were the following:
- Planet Earth II 4K UHD HDR Blu-Ray
- Transformers 4K UHD trailer
- Pirates of the Carribbean 5 1080p trailer
- Cars 3 1080p trailer
- Black Panther 1080p trailer
- Star Wars Rogue One 1080p trailer
- Spider Man Homecoming 1080p trailer
- Teen Wolf S06E20 720p (3mbps bitrate)
- Sky Sports 720p football clip

Store feed running at 720p and 1080p
Trailers of Project Cars 2, Despicable Me 3, The Grand Tour and a few more were the ones running on our store feed.

I hope this helps you make your mind up [emoji1360]

Thanks Marcos that’s really helpful. What would sky q hd channels be in? 720 or 1080?

I guess there will be more and more ultra hd and 4K content coming so maybe the LG would future proof it more? As long as our current content on sky and Disney dvd etc would look ok :)

Thanks again

If you have Sky Q, most channels will be in 1080p Full HD so upscaling at that quality should be pretty similar on both. It's more for the lower quality stuff. Other than that yes the LG one is more future proof due to it supporting all mainstream HDR formats.

Get the LG cheaper and much better OS.

Have to agree the LG is the best OLED this year, taking price into account. Would also be more kid friendly with Web OS and the magic remote. it's the little things :)

Thanks all looks like it’s the LG :)

Now the question is do I buy from richer sounds who have an extra 100 off making it 1599 or John Lewis who offer the 28 day price match should it drop in price again. Plus their installation is reasonable as hubby isn’t confident

The DVDs will probably look a bit ropey but since most of it is on Sky Disney in HD (1080) and looks great on there you should be fine.

I think both TVs give fantastic pictures.

We don’t watch Disney on sky as we have just bought all the DVDs (don’t have films on sky) would blu Ray be better?

Just been through the same, plumped for the LG C7 @ £1,529 although the Panasonic was originally my first choice. The B7/C7 is great, you won't be disappointed.

We don’t watch Disney on sky as we have just bought all the DVDs (don’t have films on sky) would blu Ray be better?

Night and day. Recommend you just buy one favourite on BluRay and compare.

The bitrate (data rate) of 1080p Blu-Ray discs is so high that I rather watch 1080p Blu-Rays than 4k streaming so yes Blu-Ray is a massive improvement compared to DVD.

We have some blu Ray :) I’ll just slowly replace them when on offer. Do even the really old Disney classics make a difference

Yep. One of my favourites is Sleeping Beauty from(iirc) 1958. As long as the transfer to digital is done well, the quality of stuff shot on 35mm film is way higher than DVD could ever manage.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom