1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! - on DTS signal

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by saggu1, Jun 22, 2001.

1. saggu1

saggu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba SD100E DVD player and a Yamaha DSP-A5 amp. The trouble I am getting is that when I play Gladiator I cannot get the amplifier to reproduce the DTS sound coming from the DVD. I have a CAMBRIDGE optical going into the amp.

Please advise coz I am dying to hear what DTS sounds like!!!

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    One of 2 things I can think of :-

1 - You didn't select the DTS track on the DVD (by default it uses the DD track).
    2 - You have DTS output disabled from the DVD player (I don't know the Toshiba players) but there is usually a menu that allows you to specify DD, DTS or MP3 outputs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Slingshot

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's a DTS amp and you have a digital input and auto-detect selected then the problem must be at the DVD end. It's worth it to get it working, I prefer DTS to DD, dunno why, just a bit atmospheric or something.

S

4. saggu1

saggu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realised that you need to select the dts option on the DVD..duh..

cheers SLINGSHOT!!! :D

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duh indeed!

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I will confess to having exactly the same experience 1st time I tried to play DTS.
    I mean whilst it seems obvious once you think about it, it doesnt leap of the page anywhere that you need to select a different sound track.
    My son and I read our receiver and DVD player instructions from cover to cover trying to find out how to switch DTS on. There was not a single referrence in the manuals (Onkyo and Philips) as to how to do this.
    Nor on the DVDs we tried was there any instruction as to the fact you need to select a DTS soundtrack.
    So, it might be obvious once you know, it might be a bit of a 'duh' moment, but you would think somewhere it would tell you.

7. saggu1

saggu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ioz for the back-up here!!! :p