1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on digital cameras ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by norfy, Jan 12, 2005.

1. norfy

norfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Canon SLR manual and want to get hold of a fairly simple digital camera to take those spur of the moment shots of the kids so I can email off to family etc. I want a decent make but am not too worried size of mega pixels as it will not be my main camera, I still like using the SLR.

People have told me to go for a proper camera brand, like canon, nikon or olympus etc

Price range could be anything from £100 to £200, I know it's a bit of a wide spectrum, but if I can get what I want for £120 why pay £200 that has extra features I might not use.

So I'm after: decent make, simple to use (remember the wife will have a go as well!), between 3 and 5 MP, red eye reduction (am I asking too much?) and all the other ususal features.

Cheers in advance for your help.

UPDATE: I've been looking at the Canon A400 anybody got any reviews on this?

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    Going for one of them you will probably be getting a more reliable camera.

As you say going for one with extra bells and whistles when all you want is happy snaps. But the better cameras will allow you to grow into the camera at a future date if you decide to take things further and may also allow you to take better pictures in poor conditions.

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Bought a A400 for my son at Christmas......quite impressive for just over £100... :smashin:
    Quite small, not overloaded with features, but has all of those that you require.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_a400.asp

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    ignore this post - price error

5. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    my dad did a similar thing, he has an SLR and hes also got a small compact, decided to get a cheap digital (fuji A305 i think) just for snaps so he can send me pictures and stuff from his computer, he seems to love it,

gonna get my olympus fixed when i upgrade to a 20D and give it to him