1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on Connecting AV Amp up for Newbie

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jedster, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Jedster

Jedster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I currently have a Pioneer 434XDE Plasma which I am really pleased with. So much so I've managed to talk my wife in to allowing me to get a thetre sound set up.

After much research and postings I think I am pretty much settled on the Pioneer VSA AX5AI-S with Castle CC3's...

However looking at the back panel of the amp I see no Scart input which throws up a few questions (I've only ever really done scart) !!

1. Whats the best way to connect Sky+, DVD player and Plasma media Box for video to the amp...or should I bother and leave the boxes connected to media box which then connects direct to screen?

2. Whats the best way to do the above but for audio? I guess it would be optical ?

Please restrain from laughing at my questions, I guess I'm just a real newb with too much inheritance ! But am really keen to get a good sound and setup

Thanks for any help :)

2. Jedster

Jedster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ammendment to the above. The screen is a Pioneer 435XDE and not 434 if that makes any difference tomy questions.
    Cheers

3. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Jedster

The Sky+ box has optical digital output, so use that to connect to the amp, and your RGB scart into the media box for the plasma.

You don't say which DVD player you have, but you have a couple of options. You can use either a optical or coaxial digital audio lead for the sound into the amp. There will be a raging debate over which is better, so I'll just say that I always use a coaxial for DVD.

Your picture from the DVD can then be run into the media box using either (in order of quality) Scart, Component or HDMI. Scart you know, component is three RCA connections coloured Red, Green and Blue, HDMI is a single connection that looks a little like a USB cable. Your screen will accept any of these three connections.

Finally if you're using the tuner in the Media box to watch tv, you will probably want to take the audio from there into the amp as well. There should be an audio out on the back of the media box (2 Phono's) which you can run into the 'TV' input on the back of the amp.

Once you've assigned all of the inputs on the amp you should be ready to go.

Hope this helps.

Tony

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I have all of my video sources connected to my television, however some people connect video sources to amp as they believe it’s more convenient. If you want to use the amp for video switching then connect a component cable between the plasma and monitor out on the amp. You can then run video cables to the amp (composite (worst quality), s-video or component) and use video conversion to improve the video .

You could use either digital coax or optical cable to connect dvd player to the amp, and I think you should use optical for Sky to amp.