Help on choosing a DVD Recorder please ?.

Thanks Russell, but as I am a novice at this most of it is going straight over my head, :rolleyes: sorry but I’m sure over the next couple of weeks I’ll be asking quite a few basic questions on the subject. :lesson:

Back to the recorder, and I have just managed to win a Panasonic E95 off of eBay today and will be taking the short trip to London tomorrow morning to pick it up, the only thing unfortunately for me is that it is NOT multiregional, :( so another quick question to the experts out there does anyone know how or who will alter it for me around my area of Oxfordshire please. :confused:

Dont worry about asking questions, that's what this forum is for!:thumbsup:

http://www.dvdchips.co.uk/ is the place to get a multi-region mod. A lot of people on videohelp.com seem to like them. You basically get a remote which fires a string of comands to the DVD player which converts the player to multi region. It's like a standard remote hack, except the remote is provided by DVD Chips.

What I am getting at above is if you have any part of the Panasonic player configured for RGB then two things will occur. 1) you will not be able to play american import discs (Region one) and 2) You will not be able to use component outputs either. If you configure the Panasonic player to use S-Video (actually very good picture quality) then you can use Component and play imported discs via component. You cannot, however, use the player to convert the various input standards, so pictures inputed via SCART will not be passed through the component connection (the picture will be monochrome). Recordings will, however, be played via whatever output you care to use just fine.

Russell

:smashin: Great and thanks (£20 + vat) that’s a relief as I do have quite a few imports from the USA. :)

Tomorrow is going to be some experience :rolleyes: setting the recorder up, should I keep everything “if possible” connected ?, i.e. stand alone DVD player, and the old video recorder, and if so (I’m on NTL) which way should things be connected/set up please. :lesson:

What I am getting at above is if you have any part of the Panasonic player configured for RGB then two things will occur. 1) you will not be able to play american import discs (Region one) and 2) You will not be able to use component outputs either
The Panasonic models support full RGB input and component out. What they do not support is RGB out and component out.

Just collected it, :thumbsup: (4 hour round trip) and will wait until this evening to set up. Here’s HOPING IT IS EASY!! ……………………..any tips :lease: ?.

Just collected it, (4 hour round trip) and will wait until this evening to set up. Here’s HOPING IT IS EASY!! ……………………..any tips
It's easy to setup. :) Just glance over the first few pages of the manual - any ???s then just ask.

Rasczak said:
It's easy to setup. :) Just glance over the first few pages of the manual - any ???s then just ask.

HERE WE GO!!

It’s me again the novice here, just spent 5 hours playing with scart leads trying to set up the best way for my new Panasonic E95, managed to get my NTL on RGB don’t know how must have been a fluke but then I did try every combination, but still can’t tune the video in to record from ?, I have listed the scarts (below) on the back of each appliance hoping somebody can put me in the right direction please.

NTL BOX Top scart says VCR, bottom TV
DVDR Top AV1 TV bottom AV2 decoderVCR same as the DVDR
TV Top AV2 and bottom EURO ?.

I have connected BOTTOM of NTL to BOTTOM of DVDR with my best scart.
Top of DVDR to BOTTOM of TV
Top of VCR to Top of TV

Please please can somebody put me in the right direction as like I said before I have tried everything I even tried a 4 way scart extension although I am not using it at the moment

I’m exhausted!!

P.S. On the panny the AV1 is set to the TV stations, and the AV2 is picking up the NTL ?, the 5 terrestrial cannels tuned in again after several attempts, I’m sure that I’m doing some wrong or missing something quite obvious.

Not entirely sure I 'get' what the problem is. You say you have tuned the five terrestial channels in? And you can see NTL when you select channel A2? Your connections seem OK.

luckylewis,

By saying "...but still can't tune the video in to record from ?" are you referring to recording to the panasonic E95 from your video, or are you just saying that you cannot record TV onto your video?

Russell

Rasczak said:
Not entirely sure I 'get' what the problem is. You say you have tuned the five terrestial channels in? And you can see NTL when you select channel A2? Your connections seem OK.

Yes that’s right, although I thought that seeing the NTL would and could be on AV1, and the VCR would be on AV2 ?. (not sure what AV3 & AV4 are for ?)

What I meant was how do I see the VCR on the Panasonic, to record/transfer over my old tapes ?.

russraff said:
luckylewis,

By saying "...but still can’t tune the video in to record from ?" are you referring to recording to the panasonic E95 from your video, or are you just saying that you cannot record TV onto your video?

Russell

Russell,

No what I meant was how do I see the VCR on the Panasonic, to record/transfer over my old tapes onto the new recorder please?.

luckylewis, on the Panasonic AV1 and AV3 are outputs whilst AV2 and AV4 are inputs (AV1 can be used as a composite only input). Therefore connect as follows:

NTL TV Out >>>> AV2 on the Panasonic
VCR Output >>>> AV4 on the Panasonic (using a Scart to composite/left/right audio jacks*)

You can then either use AV1 (RGB Out) or AV3 (component out) to your TV from the DVD recorder. No menu settings are required for AV4, ensure AV1 and AV2 are set to RGB in the Functions/Setup/Connection menu**.

You could use AV1 as a Scart input from your video if you are using component output - VCRs can only output in Video anyway (assuming they are not S-VHS).

* Assuming it is not a S-VHS
** Unless you want to use component connections when AV1 must be set to Video (Composite).

Looks like I did have the right scarts connected to the DVD recorder and TV. :)

I still can’t work out the VCR as I tried the cable that was supplied with the machine and could only put the red and white ones into the back of the VCR audio jacks, to all three on the back of the AV4 on the DVD recorder, with no success, :( then I also had a scart block that would also take only 2 jacks, (again I put the red and white ones in) and plugged them into the AV1 TV on the VCR, and into the three same jack places on the back of the AV4 on the DVD recorder, but again with no success. :(

Do I need a special cable ?, and or am I connecting it up wrong ?, also I have some ghosting should I get a couple of decent scart to scart cables, if so who and where do you recommend please.

Many thanks again

Malc

P.S. I do have one cable which I am using between the NTL box and DVD recorder and it reads on the cable ……QED sqart dual screen sliver reference AV cable

and could only put the red and white ones into the back of the VCR audio jacks, to all three on the back of the AV4 on the DVD recorder, with no success
:eek: That won't work. All you have done there (without knowing what VCR model you have) is to connect the audio left/right inputs on the VCR to the audio left/right inputs on the DVD recorder. You need a cable to go from your Scart output on your VCR to the audio left/right and composite jacks of AV4. Basically you want something like this (link is for reference - although that is a good cable to buy - you do not need to spend that much!).

I do have one cable which I am using between the NTL box and DVD recorder and it reads on the cable ……QED sqart dual screen sliver reference AV cable
And is that working? I assume from your post that you can see NTL, you can see terrestial - you just can't see your VCR. Is that correct?

also I have some ghosting should I get a couple of decent scart to scart cables, if so who and where do you recommend please.
QED AV21 range are excellent Scart cables and represent a good compromise between price and performance IMHO.

Rasczak said:
:eek: That won't work. All you have done there (without knowing what VCR model you have) is to connect the audio left/right inputs on the VCR to the audio left/right inputs on the DVD recorder. You need a cable to go from your Scart output on your VCR to the audio left/right and composite jacks of AV4. Basically you want something like this (link is for reference - although that is a good cable to buy - you do not need to spend that much!).

And is that working? I assume from your post that you can see NTL, you can see terrestial - you just can't see your VCR. Is that correct?

YES :)

I see I need a scart to 3 Phono (Stereo Audio and Composite Video) cable ?.

P.S. The model of the VCR is a Panasonic NV-HD640 :)

I see I need a scart to 3 Phono (Stereo Audio and Composite Video) cable ?.
Yes - that is correct.

HOWEVER if you are currently using the component connection of your DVD recorder (AV3) then you can just use a normal Scart-Scart connected to AV1 of your DVD recorder.

The other alternative is to hook up the VCR to the DVD recorder as and when you want to archive from VHS. To be honest that is what most of us do - very few people bother hooking up a VCR fulltime as you just won't use it anymore.

Rasczak said:
The other alternative is to hook up the VCR to the DVD recorder as and when you want to archive from VHS. To be honest that is what most of us do - very few people bother hooking up a VCR fulltime as you just won't use it anymore.

That’s sounds more realistic and also easier to do. :)

I will check that out tomorrow, and who knows I might just make my first recording!! ……....................…I hope. :thumbsup:

Thanks again rasczak :D

Malc

Remember to set AV2 to Video (Functions/Setup/Connections) prior to hooking up your VCR! And use that QED cable you have ;)

Rasczak said:
Remember to set AV2 to Video YEP I WILL(Functions/Setup/Connections) prior to hooking up your VCR! And use that QED cable you have ;)WILL DO :D

:thumbsup: Great and I will let you know how it goes.

I will check the manual first, then I guess :rolleyes: that I should copy to the hard drive first, (in case of editing) then onto a disc, …………………… hold on a minute I haven’t any discs :( and what do I get ?, and I’m only guessing again do I get the “cheaper ones” that only record once ?. :confused:

P.S. I think I get the minus (-) ones not (+)

Another probably silly question can you record over a recording on the hard disc ?.

I have just done a test recording of around 2 minutes, to see if its recorded “it has” :clap: and now I want to start from the beginning again with a complete recording, is it like a VCR somehow rewind and start again ?. :confused:

GOODNIGHT FOR NOW :zonked:

Malc (getting there slowly)​

luckylewis, if you press record again it will start a new title directly after the one already recorded. Nothing will be deleted/lost unless you erase it (by selecting erase).

Not being funny but on basic topics like this my I suggest you read the manual! If you still have ???s then by all means ask but if we go over EVERYTHING step by step we'll be here to Christmas 2105!

I think I get the minus (-) ones not (+)
The Panasonic only records to DVD-R so it would be wise to go for them not the DVD+Rs ;) DVD-R is the better format anyway - considerably more compatible with existing DVD players!

Rasczak said:
Not being funny but on basic topics like this my I suggest you read the manual! If you still have ???s then by all means ask but if we go over EVERYTHING step by step we'll be here to Christmas 2105!
Many thanks again, and I know what you mean I just can’t stand reading the manuals. :(

Rasczak said:
Remember to set AV2 to Video (Functions/Setup/Connections) prior to hooking up your VCR! And use that QED cable you have ;)

Hi again,

Most things are going fine with the Panasonic E95 and it's great!! :smashin: except just the one problem of recording from the video recorder. :(
I have connected like you have mentioned and have adjusted the settings etc, I can know see and copy the recordings but with NO SOUND, is there a setting, (I have fiddled around with them) that I may have missed ?, I have also double checked the scart lead connections.

Thanks again

Malc

What is the AV2 connection type set to (Decoder, Normal, Ext Link1?) - try setting it to normal. Do you get sound when the DVD recorder is off, i.e. does sound pass through the scart cables?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom