1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on choosing a DVD Recorder please ?.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by luckylewis, Jan 14, 2005.

1. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there this is my FIRST post and I really do need your help on choosing my first DVD recorder.

Knowing absolutely nothing about the subject :rolleyes: but reading several reviews only over the last couple of days on here and several other places I am know more and completely confused. :confused:

Maybe “and I say maybe” I have narrowed my search down to the older Toshiba RD-XS32 or the Panasonic DMRE95 both need to be mulitiregon.

Now once I get a bug into my head I must have it and have it now, but like I said before “I know nothing” and don’t want to make an expensive mistake, :suicide: but what might help you to help me is what I want from the recorder itself, and that is to do 4 main operations

1. record from American VHS tapes (NTSC) onto blank DVDS.
    2. record and edit from my cam recorder.
    3. record prerecorded DVDS back into a blank DVD.
    and lastly
    4. record music DVDS. (if possible)
    one other thing which I guess is standard on all recorders is to record/edit from the TV ?, lots of other options that you might point out to me will probably go straight over my head or I haven’t even dreamed of them yet.

One final point I tried phoning a couple of shops this afternoon to pick their brains, and they put me off completely which surprised me, (as I thought they might want the trade) by saying that are to many conflicting problems between the disc formats.

:lease: please can anyone enlighten me, the only thing that I have learnt over the last few days is NOT to buy the sony 900 RDRHX900/1000 :( as there are quite a few bad reviews on the recorder.

Many thanks in anticipation

Luckylewis

2. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update:

Just been reading on several other threads that the Toshiba RD-XS32 does NOT record NTSC :( so am I right in saying that the Panasonic E95 is my only option for this price range ?, or is there any other alternatives out there that might be a better deal ?.

3. david park

david park

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm far from being an expert, in fact I ask questions here myself, and useually get really good advise.
    The other day I recieved an NTSC video tape and tried my old Philips S-VHS VCR into my Philips DVDR70 without success.
    Next I tried my newer JVC S-VHS VCR which says on it is compatable, NTSC into PAL TV. This worked fine.
    So in my case it was the VCR that mattered and not the DVD recorder.

4. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that UK Pal VCRs use a bit of electronic trickery to play NTSC tapes on compatible TVs but its not a proper conversion. Ie you won't be able to record this signal.

5. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    1. If your VHS machine outputs pure NTSC (the American TV system) then you should be able to record this onto a DVD. I haven't used the Panasonic but the Pioneer machines can do this.
    2. No problem.
    3. Do you mean commercial DVD's you have purchased or rented? If so then you can not record most of these because they are copy protected and the machines will refuse to copy them. (And it is illegal)
    4. Same answer as 3.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    luckylewis, the Pioneer range of recorders is your best all round bet. They are one of the few DVD recorders that will record a PAL60 source (output from most NTSC compatible VCRs). Ensure you look at the 520, 720 or 920 models though as only these have iLink - which you'll want for your camcorder.

For music DVDs do you mean recordings off MTV (etc)? If so then any DVD recorder will do this - including the Pioneer range.

As has been pointed out copying DVDs is not allowed. You can copy protection disabling scart cables - but these are not an authorised topic here.

For general DVD recorder buying advice see the 'Which DVD Recorder!' link in my signature.

7. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your comments. :)

As for the coping of the music I was wondering if a recording and editing from the TV, could be transferred onto a disc to play in the car/hi, is that possible or do you need special discs or software etc.

Which recorder taking in mind also value for money would anyone recommend ?, as mainly I would like to archive my NTSC collection and our own PAL videos, and I guess from you reply WARPAINT that any/most recorders will deal with my cam recordings ?.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Your only realistic option is Pioneer. Most others will not record PAL60 unless you have a true multi-standard VCRs. If you have one of these you'll know it because they are expensive machines (relatively).

Most with iLink can do this well: suitable models from Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, Sony are all good choices for this.

You will need a DVD-ROM drive and/or PC DVD burner and a programme such as TMPG Encoder 3 Xpress (see www.pegaysis-inc.com ).

9. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That’s great RASCZAK and I was half hoping to hear from you after reading quite a few of your replies over the last 48 hours and talk to the great man. :clap:

I read that link last night but when your starting off “with no clue at all” :zonked: its quite a bit to take in all at once isn’t it!!.

I will now spend a few more hours or so on the web looking at those Pioneer models do you have any preferences, and should I total discount the Panasonic range ?.

Thanks again

Luckylewis

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yes - if recording from your NTSC videos is important.

Loud and argumentative perhaps - great? - not yet ;) :D

11. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh:

Any tips on where to start on the search for the Pioneer range, looks like the prices at the moment are:

520 (£360)
    720 (£450)
    920 (1200) wow too much unless I can win the lotto tomorrow night that is. ;)

After a very quick search, what are the differences between just the 2 models now please, and there’s still loads of other Pioneer models, (too many to mention) why not them ?.

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    You had narrowed your search to HDD/DVDRs - so I limited my reply accordingly. I also discounted the iLink-less 420 model. The difference between the 520 and 720 is HDD size (80GB versus 160GB). The difference between the 720 and 920 is substantial - HDMI, Guideplus, 250GB HDD, progressive scan etc.

13. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:thumbsup: Thanks and sounds like I’m getting closer to making a decision, (I hope) but the Pioneers don’t have a progressive scan is that really important to me ?,

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Do you have a progressive scan capable TV/Screen? If so then the lack of PS is disappointing and is a choice you'll need to make: DVD playback versus PAL60 recording. If you have a CRT TV then this isn't an issue - although it's always good to be 'ready' for your next TV upgrade!

15. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:eek: Hmm I think I’m starting to go backwards again now, as I will be going plasma or LCD within the next 6 months so …………………. ? suggestions again please. :confused: i.e. HELP!!! :(

16. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Any DVD's you record can be played back on a DVD player which has progressive scan. It is the player which has progressive scan not the disc.
    In my experience progressive scan implemented poorly (cheaply) is usually worse than standard interlaced output.
    Try to get a look at RGB scart playback vs component progressive scan on an LCD or plasma screen and see if you find the difference significant.

17. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Warpaint, which player would you tend to go with ?.

18. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I'm probably biased but the Pioneer 720 would be my choice. (I have a Pioneer DVR5100)

19. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What wouldn’t I be able to do if I went for the Panasonic or Toshiba models ?, compared to the Pioneer 720, as I am weighing up what has been said before, and whether progressive scanning is important, or even the RGB with my NTL cable might be a option.

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    PAL60 recording (!). The Toshiba and Panasonic models are both fundamentally better machines than the Pioneer range - the former as it has consdierably more options/settings and the latter because of it's superb recording quality. But if they can't do the main thing you want a DVD recorder for then they are useless! I agree with a comment made earlier: get a DVD recorder for recording and a decent DVD player for playing!

21. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: OK I’m now tending to look to the future, (i.e. when I change my television to a plasma or LCD) and leave the recordings of the PAL60 alone. (shame but!) :(

Am I on the right lines with the two recorders that I have in mind ?, (Toshiba RD-XS32 or the Panasonic DMRE95) and other than the price difference which the Tosh is about £200 less, is there are advantages or disadvantages between them, and does anyone know when both were released.

22. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HELP I CAN’T WAIT!!! :lease:

After a couple of more hours of reading the forum this morning, I am tending to lean towards the Panasonic E95, “unless somebody can direct me otherwise”.

Can anyone give me some advice on where to go and get the “BEST PRICE” for a multiregional model please, £515 is the lowest I’ve found so far, and of course I think the extra warranty is essential for this priced machine don’t you ?. (another £110 for the extra 4 years)

23. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Frankly I wound't bother. The component most likely to go wrong outside of the defacto 12 month guarantee is the HDD - and you can replace that cheapily (no you can't upgrade the HDD capacity!). The rest - if it works for the first few months it will probably last much longer.

The Panasonic is the better DVD recorder. The Toshiba is popular because it allows alot of controls of picture settings and really does put the user in control of everything. Both are fantastic machines - the best available - bu in summary the pros and cons are:

Panasonic E95 advantages
    - Large HDD (160GB)
    - Better recording PQ (upto 3hrs full resolution!)
    - SD/PC Card slots
    - (Very) easy to use whilst still offering powerful recording/editting options
    - NTSC recording (not PAL60)

Toshiba RDXS32 advantages
    - Total user control over everything from menus to picture settings
    - DVD-RW support
    - RGB pass through whilst recording on internal tuner
    - WMA support

Those lists really don't do justice to two excellent machines. I use the E95 personnally - but I design menus on my PC so the menu design of the Toshiba is of no interest.

24. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks again rasczak, :) and I will start my search for the Panasonic E95 tomorrow, (Monday) where from and how much, can anybody recommend to try :lease:

25. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    One thing I will say about the Panasonic recorders is the TV standard options. Panasonic (the E85 at least) do not allow RGB connections at the same time as component. Further, if you are recording in RGB you cannot play a R1 disc as this is NTSC and the panasonic range does not allow RGB and NTSC at the same time. In order to play an NTSC DVD, you have to stop all recordings in order to access the Setup menu, change the TV system to NTSC and then play your R1 DVD. You will not be able to watch any PAL content until you change the TV system back to PAL again. I don't think that you can record PAL either if the player is in NTSC, though I could be wrong on that last point.

Panasonic recorders are very slow to respond to remote commands, too.

Very dissapointed with my Panasonic 85. Does anyone know if the Pioneer recorders have this problem of NTSC/RGB incompatibilities? I bought my recorder from Richer Sounds, so I have only their stock to choose from.

Russell

26. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Russell, but as I am a novice at this most of it is going straight over my head, :rolleyes: sorry but I’m sure over the next couple of weeks I’ll be asking quite a few basic questions on the subject. :lesson:

Back to the recorder, and I have just managed to win a Panasonic E95 off of eBay today and will be taking the short trip to London tomorrow morning to pick it up, the only thing unfortunately for me is that it is NOT multiregional, :( so another quick question to the experts out there does anyone know how or who will alter it for me around my area of Oxfordshire please. :confused:

27. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Dont worry about asking questions, that's what this forum is for!:thumbsup:

http://www.dvdchips.co.uk/ is the place to get a multi-region mod. A lot of people on videohelp.com seem to like them. You basically get a remote which fires a string of comands to the DVD player which converts the player to multi region. It's like a standard remote hack, except the remote is provided by DVD Chips.

What I am getting at above is if you have any part of the Panasonic player configured for RGB then two things will occur. 1) you will not be able to play american import discs (Region one) and 2) You will not be able to use component outputs either. If you configure the Panasonic player to use S-Video (actually very good picture quality) then you can use Component and play imported discs via component. You cannot, however, use the player to convert the various input standards, so pictures inputed via SCART will not be passed through the component connection (the picture will be monochrome). Recordings will, however, be played via whatever output you care to use just fine.

Russell

28. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: Great and thanks (£20 + vat) that’s a relief as I do have quite a few imports from the USA. :)

Tomorrow is going to be some experience :rolleyes: setting the recorder up, should I keep everything “if possible” connected ?, i.e. stand alone DVD player, and the old video recorder, and if so (I’m on NTL) which way should things be connected/set up please. :lesson:

29. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The Panasonic models support full RGB input and component out. What they do not support is RGB out and component out.

30. luckylewis

luckylewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just collected it, :thumbsup: (4 hour round trip) and will wait until this evening to set up. Here’s HOPING IT IS EASY!! ……………………..any tips :lease: ?.