1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help On choice of Subs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Timbo21, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I thought I had solved my problem of a sub by opting for svs, but unfortunately all too big for my 8' X 12' room :(

So my choices for size & price are:-

1. Rel Stampede (can get for £500)
    2. Rel Strata III (£450)
    3. MJ Acoustics Ref200 (£650, but I will only get this if I could get it down to
    £600).

I would be interested to hear from anyone who knows these & what order
    of preference they would put them in. Also I don't want to go for B&W ASW675, since it doesn't have both hi & lo inputs.

All help appreciated :)

Tim.

ps Want it good for music & films + probably won't crank it cos of the neighbours.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Have you considered the BK XLS200? It weighs in under £300 and would be excellent for your room size, just do a forum search and there's loads of information. :)

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I used to have a Strata 3 and they are superb, and well worth the money. The wood finishes are also worth having - pride of ownership and all that.

I have been interested in the Pro200 myself, as it looks like a good alternative to the likes of the B&W 675. Word is that it is a good performer, but as yet I haven't heard it. One to audition, for sure. Sevenoaks have the sub in stock for £600, so I would imagine that any reputable dealer will match or beat this price.

Russell

4. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Would you say that in order of quality would be

1. MJ ref200
    2. Rel Strata III
    3. Rel Stampede

?

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Like I said, I haven't heard the Ref 200, so I cannot comment with any certainty. It does seem to be aimed at the B&W675, which gives some indication of performance targets. The 675 is a cracking little sub that sounds anything but little, using a very over-engineered driver and high powered amp in a sealed enclosure. I think that it lacked a certain something with music, certainly it does compared to the Strata 3, but more than makes up for it with movies, power and depth (in fact, you should probably have the 675 on your list alongside the others). Basically, if the Ref 200 matches the 675 than you are right in your performace assumtions. I think that you can also use the Neutrik connector and low level connection at the same time on the Ref 200. I found this a great help, musically, with my old REL Q400.
    I suppose the other sub in the Ref 200's sights is REL's Q201. This is a bit of a red herring, though, as the Q201 is trying to be a little powerhouse, but fails on just about every level, especially at it's rrp. I never thought something so expensive can sound so bad: overblown, lacking in any form of subtlety, not really that powerful and doesn't go down that deep.

Russell

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Anybody have any opinions between the Rel Strata III & the Stampede?

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Tim
    Dont discount the asw675 just because it doesnt have high level connections.
    When set up properly it does sound good with music and as russ said does do the biz with movies considering how small it is and it is very well made.
    Cheers Gonzo.

8. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Gonzo,

Well the ASW675 is just that bit too big it's like an inch and 1/2 wider & two
    inches deeper than the MJ ref200, def. that bit too big for wifey. :)

9. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I think I'm leaning towards the MJ Acoustics ref200. It's the right size, nice finishes, remote control, 2 crossovers. only trouble is no one's got one to demo & since I don't have a car...

Can anyone vouch for the MJ 200?

From searching posts it seems most members seem to go with anything but the Rels at this price point.

10. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I haven't heard the RELs, but having heard the MJ Ref200, albeit briefly, its an awesome sub for the money. Tight and musical, but punchy and oozes effortless power. The remote is a useful feature to have too...see various posts about lackeys twiddling knobs to tweak your setup...

Looks great too!

Hope thats not too useless

Regards

Tom

11. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Thanks Tom.

I think I 'll more than likely go for the MJ. It seems people are more positive about the ref200 more than the Rel Stampede, which they say is good, but not amazing, & perhaps overpriced.

T.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I hope that you are not intending to buy a Ref 200 or indeed any other sub without listening to it first. At the very least you should listen to the Ref200 and the Rel price equivalent and make your own mind up which you think is best.

13. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    Just as a quick point, you will be able to buy a Rel Storm 3 S/H for £450, which is not too much bigger than the Strata, and available in the same wood finishes.

Phil

14. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    In an ideal world I would, but the only sub I can get a demo of is the Rel Stampede. The MJ 200 is nowhere to be demoed, not near me anyway (Feltham/
    Kingston area) & I don't have a car. 7 oaks can get it, but they never have any in to demo & only recommend the Rels. It's just not possible to demo all the kit you want, although most so far I have.

T.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I didn't, but that doesn't stop me from lecturing others :D

I haven't heard the subs on your list outside of hifi exhibitions but I would guess that the Strata 3 would outgun the Stampede through sheer size.

The suggestion of the BK Xl200 direct from the manufacturer at £279 is also worth consideration. It is cheaper than the others on your list as it doesn't have a built in profit for a retailer but it does have a good 10" driver, a smart compact cabinet and would be ideal for a smaller room such as yours.

16. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Ian, thanks for your help.

Sevenoaks in Reading have very kindly offered to get a ref200 in to compare against the Stampede :) so I'm in luck there. Of course the only other trouble
    is whether they're any good at setting up subs :rolleyes: Anyway I'm sure I'll get
    a good idea of which I prefer sound of.

And I must make sure I don't go off & buy it much cheaper from an online
    retailer ;)

17. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Size of sub bass does matter

[​IMG]

As today’s films are getting more and more complex and there dynamics are going where no sub bass as gone before… :smashin:

I would not touch any thing else on the open home cinema market, this is the reason I choose the JBL 4645 professional THX approved power program 600watts frequency measured in the room down to 18Hz but, seeing most films are within the range of 20Hz to 20Khz, this as not shown any problems in the 6 years that I have had it.

So the choice is down to the individual and how they what it designed to sound?

For me the benchmark is the Empire Leicester square, the slam kick rumble and depths of low end reinforcing the sound stage and the split-surrounds. :thumbsup: :smashin:

I am a former cinema projectionist. :)

Ashley… :)

18. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Not exactly a nice looking piece of furniture, though, is it? Also, considering it's the same size as a trans-Atlantic ferry it won't exactly blend into most room's decor. I am sure that the sub is a fantastic performer, and will go very low indeed, but I would compromise on that and choose a smaller sub that has some vestiges of domesticity.

Russell

19. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The laserdisc video tapes and DVD’s need a true one that slams kicks rumbles and goes to deep depths, films that perform well on this sub are like all Star Wars Star Trek Indiana Jones Etc; this is a powerful sub for what it is and delivers. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes the looks may not take you by storm, but when you’re a former cinema projectionist with passion for what you felt at the Empire Leicester square screen #1 when it used to have the Lucasfilm THX sound system playing Indiana Jones and the last crusade in 70mm Dolby six-track mag with split-surrounds, and when the sub bass track kicks-in with precision realism and you sit there say I like to have what is behind the screen there, though I only using mostly JBL control 5 3x for the front two for the back and a 1x JBL HT-1F for centre back point source localisable 2x Eltax HT-2 Bipolar placed on the side walls. :thumbsup:

Sub bass then becomes a paramount issue, soon as I can arrange a friend to come over and take some pictures with his digital camera your see the scale of it.

I would not trade it sale it, this is what boys with toys often want, and most small subs don’t useably give that dynamic slam a friend of mine, is trying to get a better sub bass that will performer and not going into almost excursion :oops: on his Yamaha YST SW-150.

It just can’t handle the opening credits of the day after tomorrow with Harald Kloser scoring which as some nice low end depth at 25Hz and it’s the dynamic ness of it shakes the floor! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am a former cinema projectionist.

Cheers.

Ashley…