1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on buying headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Bass70, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Bass70

Bass70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

I have a Archos AV480

I don't know which headphones to get :confused:

The Bose Quietcomfort 2 came to my attention but after reading reviews its making me have second thoughts. Are the bass any good on them?

I really like bass, anyone know of any good ones?

TIA

2. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Instinctively, I'd say you should have a look at the Sony MDR-D66 "eggos". They seem to satisfy those who like plenty of bass... :smashin:

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The MDR-D66SL has a 'hi-fi flavour' balanced bass, which will strike most people after bass as lacking.

I'd say the Sony MDR-EX71SL is a good place to start for something cheap. You get the most impression of bass from these out of all the low-cost earphones I've heard. The EX71 also provides a useful level of outside noise blocking. In the headphone area, the Koss PortaPro is very bassy. These are compact open-design (i.e. they won't keep out any external noise) phones. Let me see... what else is bassy and reasonably priced? The Sennheiser HD212 Pro looks a little weird but is a bassy closed phone, which keeps out outside noise quite well. All of these phones should be within £40.

If you can spend more, there are other options. An option to the Quietcomfort is the Shure E5c in-earphone. These will give you a lot of bass with a great deal of accuracy to boot, not to mention huge levels of noise blocking with both standard and alternative tips.

4. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Extremelydodgy, with all due respect, that's a very subjective comment and will not be accurate for all those who listen to the eggos. IME, it's also quite untrue, as are many sweeping statements that imply that one person's view is the absolute truth. Over and above that I wouldn't have clue what "hi-fi flavour" even meant and I doubt many who read it will, either.

5. yageaki

yageaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Audio-Technica ATH-FC7. The FC7 and D66 are the same size. The FC7 can be hang on the neck, while the D66 can't. The FC7 has plenty of bass, that is punchy and deep. The highs are very clear. So far, I'd say they sound great - especially the bass.

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

True, but some statements are less accurate than others and I didn't explain it properly. On the other hand things aren't completely subjective... you might actually like to listen to one before making comments because once you stick the D66 on your head, it's guaranteed apparent to anyone that this isn't a bassy phone.

7. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

extremelydodgy
    , once again you assume...who told you I hadn't listened to them? That I don't personally keep a pair does not mean or even imply that I have not listened to them.

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Whatever, iPodstudio. I'm done arguing about this. As I said some things are less subjective than others. And before noses get out of joint further, I'm not having a go at you because of anything else BTW... the D66 are not bassy phones in the least, and that's that. To claim otherwise would be misleading because they are well balanced in the nebulous hi-fi sense as I said before... and can strike some as lacking in the lows.

9. Bass70

Bass70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks extremelydodgy, I bought the Sony MDR-EX71SL.

Bass is extremly good + noice blocking