Help on buying a amp to add to my AVR

• Thread starter Deleted member 826409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 826409

Please be patient as I am a new member. I am upgrading my HT and need advice on a upgrade. I picked up Focal Prestige 836 front, 807 sides and a cc800 center speakers. Right now I have a Pioneer SC-75 AVR.i want to upgrade to separates but have to do it slowly. I was thinking of adding a Anthem MCA-325 amp to run from the AVR preouts to run the 836 front speakers and CC800 center speakers and let the AVR power sides and sub. Over time I will add another amp to run 2 subs and then replace the AVR when have I the money. Any thoughts on this set up or maybe a better way. Thanks for your opinions

D

Deleted member 39241

Hi. Just to check, what is it that you are trying to improve upon? Do you feel that you don't have enough power, or do you feel that the sound quality is lacking, even at low volumes? Are you using the system for music and movies, or just movies? Also what sub are you using, is it active or passive?

D

Deleted member 826409

This system is mainly movies and music DVDs I have a Def. tech. Super cube 1. But want to add a second one. Main reason is I want to move towards separates. But also my AVR gets hot after a couple of hours. So if I use a power amp to drive the fronts I can take some load off the AVR. I think I have enough power with the Pioneer Elite SC-75 to run the Focals but I want to be safe not to under power the Focals. The vocals r recently bought, have not hooked up yet. Running Def. Tech. BP 7002’s for my mains right now. THANKS

D

Deleted member 39241

Hi, most AVR's do run hot, it does not necessarily represent a problem, unless the AVR's protection circuit is kicking in and shutting the amp down it is not a cause for concern. Ensuring adequate ventilation is essential, and some people add cooling fans if ventilation is compromised by not enough space.

The subwoofer that you have is a standard active sub, so has it's own built in amplifier, no need to worry about additional amps to run 2 subs, because presumably, if you add a second subwoofer, it will also be active and self powered.

D

Deleted member 826409

Hello. I had my Denon receiver shutting down due to getting to warm. That is why I went to my pioneer. Pioneer running ok but the problem I got is I got the itch to go big on my HT. Set up. I am getting older and I can not ride my Harley’s like I used to. So this hobby works for me. Keeps me at home. Away from bars and tempting other vices.
So this brought me back into audio like I started in the 70s.
I do want to get separates and figured I would start with a new power amp. As far as my super cube goes the problem is the built in amp. It went bad and I can not find a replacement amp. Actually I am trying to find someone who can put a external amp on it, that way I could always find a replacement amp.
Def. Tech. Problems are in their amps. But my question is would the Anthem MCA -325 be a good match. Has anyone used one this way or is their a better external amp that would be a better fit.
I run my music through my Marantz 2325 reciever and for sound I have Klipsch Cornwall speakers. So my music set up is great.
So keep in mind I am not a audiophile guy. Just trying to see how other people switched from AVRs to seperates.

D

Deleted member 39241

Understood, it sounds like you could have a fun journey ahead.

Lots of people, of course, do use power amps with their AVR's. There is a school of thought that purely by having a separate chassis and power supply taking care of the amplification that the audio will be cleaner and more dynamic. However, what is coming out of the pre-outs is equally as important, and if there is any voltage / impedance mis-match you might find that you will not get the best out of the power amp. That is why stand alone processors exist, as they in theory anyway, should produce a cleaner sound and have a higher voltage output that make it easier to match to power amps, and be able to drive them to full gain.

I say in theory, as it depends very much on everything else in the system as to whether you can actually hear the difference in your room. The acoustic properties of the room itself play a big part in the overall audio experience, and the speakers of course, then the pre-amp, DAC's, room correction, and the source. A lot to think about!

Is your 2 channel music system in the same room as your HT system? Have you thought about combining them?

D

Deleted member 826409

Wife kicked me out of the living room. Letting me have the basement.
I love it when a plan comes together Basement is finished, waiting for me to move my stuff downstairs.
I am leaving my 2 channel dedicated to just that. Vintage Marantz 2325 sounds like heaven playing through Cornwall’s.
I am starting to be drawn to the Marantz pre/pros AV7705 and the MM80077 amp. But I still have a eye on the Anthem AMV60 and the MCA 325 and MCA 225 but not sure on the budget on this set up.

D

Deleted member 826409

Ok this is where I am at. Marantz AV8805 pre amp and a Rotel RMB-1585 amp.
Any thoughts. Close to picking them up. Thanks for all your help Rambles,

D

Deleted member 39241

They are aspirational pieces of kit! I've not had first hand experience of those exact models, but their reputation is excellent, and I would be very surprised if you were not delighted with them.

That’s exactly what I would buy if I had that budget. The Rotel is a total animal and sound incredible and the Marantz is superb, despite all of the Audyssey ‘hate’ going on.

Just look at the 8805 on the American forum, it’s insanely popular for what is an expensive processsor.

Music will sound great too.

D

Deleted member 39241

Ah, hang on, just looking at the specifications.

The output of the Marantz AV8805 is rated as:

Rated output: Unbalanced RCA pre-output: 1.2 V Balanced XLR pre-output: 2.4 V

Whereas the input sensitivity of the Rotel power amp is rated as:

Line Level Inputs (RCA): 1.9V
Line Level Inputs (XLR): 3.8V

Doesn't look like a match on paper, are you buying from a dealer? Perhaps get their view on that, to see if it is a tried and tested match.

D

Deleted member 826409

The dealer Magnolia Best Buy. Funny he said he has the exact amp.
Said it would work vary well with the marantz. But this is coming from a guy
Who is just trying to make a sale. I think I have to find a high end audio
Store and talk to someone with some knowledge. 2 problems I have is
Everyone is trying to sell their brands and their are no high end audio stores within 100 miles from me. I can take the time, I am spending a good amount for money and want the right equipment. That’s why I am on this site. I really appreciate your help and I do enjoy talking to you. I do like the Marantz so maybe I can find a better amp or maybe the other way around. Thankx

The Rotel is fine with the Marantz. Their cheaper 1575 actually offers more lower but it’s Class D and to me, didn’t sound great. The 1585 is a behemoth and will drive your speakers incredibly well.

D

Deleted member 826409

These line level inputs being unmatched between the Rotel RMB1585 and the Marantz AV8805 how much or will it affect these units in any way or in sound quality in any way. Sorry for the question but I do not understand these no’s.
What I love about this site, you guys are teaching me and I can not appreciate this enough. I spend hours reading various threads here and a lot is vary helpful. Thank you all again

D

Deleted member 39241

These line level inputs being unmatched between the Rotel RMB1585 and the Marantz AV8805 how much or will it affect these units in any way or in sound quality in any way. Sorry for the question but I do not understand these no’s.
What I love about this site, you guys are teaching me and I can not appreciate this enough. I spend hours reading various threads here and a lot is vary helpful. Thank you all again
The Rotel power amp specifications say that it needs to receive 1.9 volts via the RCA inputs to reach it's full rated power.

The Marantz processor specifications say that it can output 1.2 volts via the RCA pre-outs. So, not enough for the Rotel to reach it's full rated power.

However, sometimes the manufacturers specifications are not spot on, and when places like Audioholics or Sound & Vision bench test and measure various devices, many perform better or worse than the manufacturers specifications.

Denon and Marantz AVR's for example, have measured very good voltage from the pre-outs whereas Yamaha have measured lower.

And.. the big caveat is that even if the Marantz cannot drive the Rotel to it's full rated power, it may be okay, as you might not need or use all of it's power capabilities.

Some technical info on the subject here:

Amplifier Voltage Gain Explained – Matching Amp to Preamp

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom