Help on audio delay after pausing HTPC HD AV files on Denon AVR

djpasek

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am having an odd 4 second or so delay in the audio output compared to the video output when playing HD audio/video files from my Home Theater PC (HTPC) AFTER PAUSING the playback of the audio/video files. My configuration is: HTPC Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming GT Motherboard, Intel i7 6700K CPU, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB NVMe SSD, 64 GB RAM, audio and video output from the motherboard via HDMI cable to Denon AVR X2200W HDMI input, then HDMI output from the X2200W to a Samsung TV HDMI input. My speaker signals, of course, come from the X2200W speaker outputs from the Denon X2200W. I am having no audio delay when playing SD video audio/video files on my HTPC AFTER PAUSING these SD files. Things I’ve done that haven’t helped: Updated Windows 10 to 2H20, then completely updated that W10 version, updated my Intel video driver and audio driver on the HTPC, updated the X2200W firmware, and tried to tweak the numerous X2200W settings in every possible way. Nothing has worked. I have, strangely, discovered that if I: 1) leave the X2200W in standby 2) power on the HTPC and TV 3) start playing the HD audio/video file (with the sound coming from my TV set’s tiny speakers because the X2200W is still in standby and acting as a pass thru), then problem is gone and AFTER I PAUSE this HD audio/video file there is no audio delay compared to the video on those TV speakers. If then, while the HD audio/video file is still playing, I power on the X2200W, the display flickers while the X2200W powers on and the HTPC graphics card accommodates the X2200W, and the HD audio/video file again plays properly without the troublesome 4 second (or so) audio signal delay (compared to the video signal) AFTER PAUSE. But at this point, if I want to watch a different audio/video file (recorded TV show), and select a different HD audio/video file to play (with the X2200W already powered on), the problem recurs AFTER PAUSE on this new audio/video file. Again, I am not having any issues playing SD video files (as from a SD DirecTV audio/video signal), even after pausing them. Do anybody have any idea what might be causing this 4 second (or so) audio delay (compared to the video signal) when the X2200W is ALREADY powered on and a HD audio/video media file (TV show recording) is selected to run and then PAUSED?

Does the issue occur if you stop and resume instead of pause? Have you tried different video players on the PC?

Sounds like an issue with the HD audio Codec in the Media centre having an issue with the Denon. What software is being used to play the HD files?
Could you not try connecting the media centre directly to the TV and use the ARC from TV back to the receiver for the sound and see what happens? or run an Optical cable from the Media centre sound card directly to the Denon, that should still give you surround sound etc.

Even better would be two cables from the PC graphics card - one to the TV for video and one to the amp for audio.

Delay as in lip sync out (by this 4 seconds) after a pause?

OR Delay as in when you pause the sound continues for a bit and on restart the pictures start and then the sound comes along in sync, but later in time?

The latter is normal on my Onkyo in order to get lip sync correct - albeit it's not as long as four seconds.

Delay as in lip sync out (by this 4 seconds) after a pause?

OR Delay as in when you pause the sound continues for a bit and on restart the pictures start and then the sound comes along in sync, but later in time?

The latter is normal on my Onkyo in order to get lip sync correct - albeit it's not as long as four seconds.
The latter. When I restart the video/audio file after pausing, the video starts immediately but the audio is delayed by about 4 seconds. When the audio resumes it is in perfect sync with the video.

Sounds like an issue with the HD audio Codec in the Media centre having an issue with the Denon. What software is being used to play the HD files?
Could you not try connecting the media centre directly to the TV and use the ARC from TV back to the receiver for the sound and see what happens? or run an Optical cable from the Media centre sound card directly to the Denon, that should still give you surround sound etc.
I'm using W10 V.20H2 with Microsoft Media Center Edition (MCE) hacked into W10 to play the media video/audio files. I'll try your suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited:
Does the issue occur if you stop and resume instead of pause? Have you tried different video players on the PC?
Yes, the issue does occur if I stop and resume. I have not tried different video players but that's a good idea. Thanks. I'll try a different video player. Thanks for your comments.

Yes, the issue does occur if I stop and resume. I have not tried different video players but that's a good idea. Thanks. I'll try a different video player. Thanks for your comments.
Update: The problem also occurs with Cyberlink's PowerDVD and with Windows Media Player, as well as with the Windows Media Center W10 hack I described earlier. So the problem is not with the Media Center W10 hack.

The latter. When I restart the video/audio file after pausing, the video starts immediately but the audio is delayed by about 4 seconds. When the audio resumes it is in perfect sync with the video.
I have just discovered that if I power on my system in this exact order, the problem is gone: First power on the Denon X2200W>turn on the Samsung TV>boot up W10 in the HTPC>play the .wtv media A/V file in Media Center. But if I power on the Denon X2200W FIRST>then boot up the HTPC afterwards, the problem recurs. Does anyone know why the exact order of powering on these devices matters? Thanks for your input.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom