Help on amplifier replacement

Bhopx

Standard Member
I purchased an Onkyo HTIB (model HT-S780) several years ago and now I'm looking to replace the receiver with a newer model that is able to process the blu-ray audio codecs (DTS-HD, etc.). I've found a receiver that I think would be compatible with the speakers that came with the old system, but I'm not 100% sure as I'm not too familiar with specs like frequency output and whatnot. Below are links to the home theatre system as well as the receiver that I'm looking at purchasing. If anyone could confirm whether or not these are compatible as well as any other advice I would appreciate it.

Onkyo HT-S780 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater System | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

Onkyo HT-RC260 - 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

dante01

Distinguished Member
The most relevant part of the speaker specs is their impedance. The speakers have an impedance of 8 ohm which most if not all amps can easily deal with.

One issue you will have is with the subwoofer. Your existing sub is a passive model and a dedicated AV amp will require you use an active sub with its own onboard power supply and amplification.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You should be okay with whatever AV amp you choose then ;)

I'd probably suggest better speakers at some point in the future though, but they will work and will suffice. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Q800T 8K QLED TV Review
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom