Help on a surround sound system for my Revo, 360 and PS3.

DanGlebals

Standard Member
Hi all

I'm an absolute novice with audio and am after some help. Over the past year or so I've been collecting bits and bobs and put them together in my lounge as a "set up".

Currently I have -

- An LG 42LE7900 (despite what people say I love this tv :thumbsup:)

- An Acer Revo 3700 using XBMC as an HTPC.

- An Xbox 360.

- A PS3.

However I have completely neglected the audio side of my set up and am still using a £15 2 speaker set up :oops:. Basically I got a tax rebate from the government :)grin:) and want to use it to drastically improve the sound quality for the Revo, 360, PS3 and standard TV if possible. However I've NO IDEA where to start at all, do I need an amp? Will just a standard set of speakers do that accepts optical? I'm literally clueless.

My budget is around £250, can be flexible but not by much. I'd preferably like all three to be connected over optical (they are all connected to the TV over HDMI if that makes a difference) for the best quality. Any ideas on where to start, what systems in my budget are best and any tips would be massively appreciated. Much love to anyone that takes the time to help me out :)

Regards

Dan

Last edited:

Andrew K

Banned
Hi Dan

You're generally going to need an AV Receiver and some speakers. What budget have you got in mind and then I and others will be able to suggest some decent combinations for you

DanGlebals

Standard Member
Oh whoops I completely forgot to put in what my budget is, my mistake! It's around £250 or so, can be slightly flexible but that's about it. I know it's not much but it's all I can afford for the foreseeable future.

eaglemmoomin

Novice Member
I'd wait then and save some more money, 350ish will get you a budget pack of speakers and AVR from Onkyo or Yamaha, unless you can find a deal.

EG

Superfi - ONKYO HTS5405 HOME CINEMA PACKAGE

Superfi - YAMAHA AV71 3D READY 5.1 HOME CINEMA SYSTEM (RXV371 HOME CINEMA RECEIVER & NSP20 5.1 SPEAKER PACKAGE)

Seperately purchasing you will need an AVR, these start at around the 200 mark and a set of speakers a reasonable starter set of 5.1 speakers will cost around the 250 to 300 mark on their own. You can get cheaper speakers but you'll probably end up replacing them so saving money short term to lose it later if you see what I mean.

Also at the cheaper end of the market you get will get less optical connectors.

If the TV is HDMI 1.4 then you can use ARC over HDMI (the TV will send audio from it's tuner to the AVR), and instead of using optical connectors just use HDMI from the PS3, 360 (assuming it's not one the really old ones) to the AVR then the PC can use one of the remaining two HDMI's.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom