1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on 37/40 lcd please(newbie!!)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Taffyposh, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Taffyposh

Taffyposh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello All,
    I am just a bout to purcahse a new LCD to replace my CRT and need some advise.

Max size I can take would be 40" minimum 37" I have read many reviews and seen quite a few set and my head hurts big time, so i thought i would post and get it from some experts!

I believe my choices are down to the following

Sony 40" V series
    JVC 37" DS6
    Sharp GD7

I currently have Sky and intend to upgrade to HD next year, i am not a gamer and do not connect my pc or laptop to the screen although i may do in the future. I have a LD player(!) and a pioneer 737 dvd player which is capaable of prog scan through component inputs. The more connections the better on the set. I will be sat no more than 3m away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, plus guidance on the best places to but the respective set(i have seen the JVC for 1564 with ped stand(prefered option))

My budget is 2k and i already have a *good* HT set up

Thanking you all in advance

TP

2. manzee

manzee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those three are all excellent sets and I'm sure you'd be happy with any of them.

A few considerations: the Sony doesn't have a VGA input, if that bothers you. The Sharp doesn't have any picture processing/enhancement so freeview might look like crap. The JVC is meant to be a bit picky about what PC resolutions it will display.

Also the Sharp or the Sony will run you about £300-500 more than the JVC. For the extra you get a lovely build quality (sharp) or an extra 3 inches (sony).

3. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,163
    I personally like the Samsung models of LCD

4. Taffyposh

Taffyposh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Okay, so now i am thrown!! Saw the new 32" Sony in Cu**YS today, omg, what a gorgeous set! So the question is now 37" JVC DS6 or 40" Sony when it arrives.

I notice fromt the board someone is or has just gota 40", any insights or tips would be welcom. One thing toi say about the Sony 32" is it footprint size is tiny!! Why can't all manuf' make them this way. I awiat all your guided knowledge!

TP

5. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Have a good look ask currys if you can put the screen(s) through their paces have a fiddle hopefully with sky and dvd player take some dvds with you. I'm waiting for my V40 then again someone took their V40 back to sony after a day he thought the picture was poor for the money.

6. LFC

LFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am in a similar position and was also looking at the new Toshiba 37wlt58, however I was looking on Tottenham Court Road this weekend in ASK.
    They had all the main sets runnning showing a repeat of the England France game and the while the various Sony's produced a good picture the rest toshiba / sharp / JVC and Phillips were all rubbish. Similarly a few others had the toshiba the 56 version, and the standard picture was always poor.

I can't believe given the reviews and posts on hear that these sets can't give an adequate picture with normal TV and that it must have been the settings, it would help if anyone who owns these models could post the settings they use to speed up demo's in the shops.

On current views it would have to be the Sony or a panasonic plasma but then you have the screen burn problems.

Thanks

7. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sony's always have been really good with analogue indeed, the bravia serie looks like it's going to blow the competition away...except maybe for the pana and jvc lcd's, these are especially very good on dvd/hd. But it's not all settings, it's also the bad cables and split signal through which the already not great analogue signal looks pretty bad. It should be a lot better at home, though digital tv is recommended if you want a perfect picture!

8. LFC

LFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I will be running sky plus though scart connection at home for the next year or so until HD and watch a fair ammount of TV so would need a screen to produced a decent picture.

The sony V 40 looks great but at £2250 compared with the toshiba 37wl58 for £1700 it a big step.

I would hope somthing like the toshiba would be better at hom especially since the new model have such great connectivity but where in London can you find a dealer who can hook up the screens like that as I could not take the gamble based on what I have seen so far.