Answered HELP OLED55C7V replaced by insurance with B7... really unhappy

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by SteveTaber, Jul 22, 2018.

1. SteveTaber

SteveTaber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

At the beginning of June I purchased a LG OLED55C7V. Since I have been absolutely blown away by it, the 4k content has an almost 3D feel to it, my face automatically smiles every time I turn it on.

My son decided to end my fun last week when he launched a TV remote through my beloved C7. I settled with insurance but the C7 is no longer available, I couldn't even find a ex demo set, so I was forced to buy a B7. I don't like the stand as much, and I prefer the black surround of the C7, but I thought it was a decent compromise for the 'same amazing panel' I was told it was 'identical' apart from the cosmetic differences.... however.

The B7 has left me cold, cosmetic differences are irrelevant, but I have noticed some differences

1. Sound, is definitely less full in sound and sounds more like it is 'behind the TV' compared to the C7

2. No question, the picture is still very good, blacks are awesome as expected from OLED, but it seems to just be a 'good picture' it seems to lack the magic & jaw dropping 3D look the C7 pleased me so much with.

(I noted my settings from the C7 and duplicated them on the B7, so the differences are not settings related)

Please, anyone with any information I would be so grateful to hear your thoughts. If it is somehow inferior to the C7 in terms of panel, processor...SOMETHING, I would love to know after being promised 'I won't tell the difference'

I only purchased the B7 2 days ago, so still have a window to return it (and sit on my cash and wait for a C8 maybe.

Thank you.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #15 by SteveTaber, Jul 22, 2018 (1 points)
  3. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,576
    The C8 is coming down in price rapidly, I’d go for it.
    Audio - did you try the audio wizard (it detects room setup) to see if it helps?
    PQ: this could be simply panel variations, I had a nightmare originally trying to get a set without too many tint issues, what i discovered is they are all different with some being much brighter (punchier) than others.

4. SteveTaber

SteveTaber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I am a professional photographer by trade, I have high end Eizo monitors I calibrate, so although I am not savvy in terms of TV's I am quite sensitive to screen issues.

I setup the audio with the wizard in the same way on both sets, also tried to tweak it myself. I believe there are more subtle differences between the B & C than is made public.

I popped a 50% grey on the B7 and I can see a colour shift left to right, left is cold, moving warmer like a gradient as you get tho the right side of the panel.

It is still a 'great picture' and my family can't even see the difference, but to me it is night and day to the C7 panel I was viewing last week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    LG use the same panels across the 2017 range, only the sound and presentation options vary. However, there should not be any variation in tint from one side to another, nor should there be any difference in sound quality between the B7 and C7 - only the stand and bezel changed.

6. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,929
    C7 is 100% identical to B7 except for the stand

7. SteveTaber

SteveTaber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think it may just be the case I had a very good sample of the C7 and a very bad sample of the B7.

It is hard to explain, the C7 was a special immersive experience, this B7 is just a good picture, like a 55 inch modern day Plasma (with better blacks)

8. Hixs

Hixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,183
    You're using the TVs speakers?! odd thing to do on a premium tv. Even a budget soundbar will better. So one issue solved. As for the picture, just play with the settings. All panels are slightly different, so what works for one may not sit so well with another.

9. SteveTaber

SteveTaber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Hixs,

I have a very nice sound set up, but when the kids are in bed we often revert to the TV speakers so to not shake the kids out of bed. We all use our TV's differently.

All opinions say the B7 & C7 are technically identical so I will accept that. I also accept all panels are slightly different, but it is clear to me the 2 panels I have had in front of me are VERY different. C7 was beautiful, this copy of the B7 I now own is just 'good'.

I have tinkered with every setting, I can't make this screen do 50% of what the C7 panel did without any tinkering.

10. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,576
    The audio should be the same, I haven’t heard of audio variations between sets but as massed produced maybe there can be.
    There are definitely differences between the same panels though (yes they are all the same panels on sets, but there are some variations), I had 8 C8’s all within 7 weeks and I can tell you some looked very bright, punchy whites and some looked a lot duller (this is using the presets and same firmware revision).
    I think this is why we have some users complaining why others more than happy.
    If this was your first set, you’d probably be happy but as you can compare it’s going to annoy you every time ...
    Assuming you turned eco mode off?

11. wezzywebb

wezzywebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,519
    Totally agree with you there mate about panel variation ,I’ve seen it many times

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. SteveTaber

SteveTaber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think you are right. If this B7 was the first set I purchased I would be blissfully ignorant and perfectly happy. I’m not saying for a second the B7 image is bad. But in comparison to the C7 I watched everyday for 6 weeks it is not even in the same league. If it was a blind test I would not expect it’s exaclty the same panel and electronics behind it.

Looks like it’s going back. If it’s going to bug me every time I turn it on, it’s the only answer.

Thanks

13. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,576
    Maybe another B7 will do the job, depends on the difference between price with the C8, but if it’s small, I’d go C8 as the processor improves a few things v ‘17 range. If large, try another B7 if that’s an option.
    Good luck!

Edit : and if going C8, check oled price thread as there are deals, you don’t have to pay what supplier advertises on their page :)

14. SteveTaber

SteveTaber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    B7 is £1299, B8 is £1999, C8 is £2499. Looks like there is more of a difference between B & C this year, the C appears to have a front facing speaker intergreated within the stand.

Another B7 is worth a go, if that fails I will sit tight for a C8 price reduction.

15. MEGATAMA

MEGATAMA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    There is always diference betwen panels....panel lotery its name :)
    Entire 2017 range have same procesor,diference is in design and sound.

16. SteveTaber

SteveTaber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Best Answer
    In that case I won the lottery... then lost the ticket

17. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,576
    The 65” C8 is going for about the same, think it’s £2999+£500 cash back ...(stock may be an issue)
    I recall someone saying this years 65” seem to have more discount than the 55”

18. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    The C8 is £2499 before £300 cash back.

Also, the speakers on the C8 are downward facing with the stand designed to then direct the sound out to the viewer
    Martin.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  19. pcaddy

pcaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    I think that as it's only 2 days old you might be best to use it for a couple of weeks and see how it settles down, the picture quality should change over the first few hundred hours, which is why you should never get them calibrated when you first get them, if they didn't change it wouldn't matter and they could be calibrated out of the box. Your C7 was already run in (for want of a better phrase) so the comparison is not totally valid on day one. I hope that it works out for you.

20. SteveTaber

SteveTaber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, thanks for this. I’m 100% the B7 was defective in some way, processor/panel... something. I ended up sending it back and got a very good deal on a C8. Straight out of the box the C8 was like my original C7, amazing, almost 3D looking with some content. Then I found a line of dead pixels and just replaced for a second C8.

Ive had a C7, B7 & two C8’s in the last 8 weeks, from my experiences in the last 2 months I am amazed how much variation between panels can be. Maybe it’s just the nature of OLED or the panel lottery I’ve seen so much about. This latest C8 instantly strikes me as a good one, so I hope I can just enjoy now.

Thanks

21. pcaddy

pcaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Good luck I hope that one is okay for good, you can get good panels I've had my B6 for well over a year and a half and had no problems (touch wood) and am very happy with it. I hope that you have the same experience with yours. :)