Help...OLED Frustration

PRJ2112

Novice Member
Hello
I posted a discussion a few days ago about my LG 55CX picture quality issues.
The issues I had on the picture quality are for instance...when you have a shot of somebody walking, there is an edge around the body or the clothing that pixelates when it passed a different background, especially white backgrounds. I also got a lot of pixelation on fast moving objects, in normal HD and HDR.
In fact there wasn't one tv programme or movie I was happy with as I always spotted something.
After days of testing I returned the LG and replaced it with a Sony A8.
The pixelation on the fast moving shots has been cured but I'm still getting edging on people and moving objects.
At the moment I'm watching football in UHD on Sky and for some reason it looks awful on the Sony whereas it was ok on the LG. There is almost like a gentle dark flashing on the grass when the camera pans and it looks like its refreshing every second or so, I've no idea what's going on.
And also when I switch the football to Standard HD it looks terrible!
On the LG and the Sony, I also have to set the smoothness to maximum on both sets to eliminate judder, because if you turn smoothing off the judder is awful.

I'm at my wits end now and totally fed up with trying to adjust the settings.
I hope this makes sense and just wonder if I'm ever going to like the OLED screen.
Is it a case of spending a fortune on a higher end OLED or do I go for a top end QLED.

Any help and advise really appreciated.

Paul

sebna

You are probably seeing motion enchantments artifacts. Turn the motion stuff (or turn it down) and it should be grand :)

mikej

It sounds like you are sensitive to judder but don't like the artefacts introduced when you turn motion interpolation on at a high setting to counter-act it.

On my Panasonic OLED, I've found that setting motion interpolation (IFC) to 'low' makes noticeable judder less frequent, without any artifacts 'soap opera effect', but every user and TV is different - it's all about finding a balance that works for you. If you can't find an acceptable balance and have already tried alternative OLEDs, then it might be time to look at alternatives such as LCD. From what I gather, LCDs tend to blur this motion so judder can be less noticeable. Ideally, you need to find a reproduceable, problematic scene on a particular show or film and check how it looks on an OLED vs LCD. Tricky at the moment though, obviously.

However... before you consider switching, it's definitely worth reading up on the pros and cons of OLED vs LCD. You might fix this issue but end up swapping one set of problems for another !

RE: higher end OLED - I believe that Sony OLEDs are supposed to be good for motion, so I'm not sure that choosing yet another brand and/or throwing more money at a more expensive OLED is going to fix your issue.

Last edited:

PRJ2112

Novice Member
It sounds like you are sensitive to judder but don't like the artefacts introduced when you turn motion interpolation on at a high setting to counter-act it.

On my Panasonic OLED, I've found that setting motion interpolation (IFC) to 'low' makes noticeable judder less frequent, without any artifacts 'soap opera effect', but every user and TV is different - it's all about finding a balance that works for you. If you can't find an acceptable balance and have already tried alternative OLEDs, then it might be time to look at alternatives such as LCD. From what I gather, LCDs tend to blur this motion so judder can be less noticeable. Ideally, you need to find a reproduceable, problematic scene on a particular show or film and check how it looks on an OLED vs LCD. Tricky at the moment though, obviously.

However... before you consider switching, it's definitely worth reading up on the pros and cons of OLED vs LCD. You might fix this issue but end up swapping one set of problems for another !

RE: higher end OLED - I believe that Sony OLEDs are supposed to be good for motion, so I'm not sure that choosing yet another brand and/or throwing more money at a more expensive OLED is going to fix your issue.
Thanks very much for the detailed reply Mike.
I too was thinking that a good LED/QLED would be a better solution for me but I don't want to keep swapping TV's and it's hard at the moment not being able to see them in a store. And even then it's still hard to test specific content.
I've just actually put another post up regarding my Sony A8H and how the picture is slightly flashing on the Sky Sports UHD football when the camera is panning.

PRJ2112

Novice Member
Hello
I posted a discussion a few days ago about my LG 55CX picture quality issues.
The issues I had on the picture quality are for instance...when you have a shot of somebody walking, there is an edge around the body or the clothing that pixelates when it passed a different background, especially white backgrounds. I also got a lot of pixelation on fast moving objects, in normal HD and HDR.
In fact there wasn't one tv programme or movie I was happy with as I always spotted something.
After days of testing I returned the LG and replaced it with a Sony A8.
The pixelation on the fast moving shots has been cured but I'm still getting edging on people and moving objects.
At the moment I'm watching football in UHD on Sky and for some reason it looks awful on the Sony whereas it was ok on the LG. There is almost like a gentle dark flashing on the grass when the camera pans and it looks like its refreshing every second or so, I've no idea what's going on.
And also when I switch the football to Standard HD it looks terrible!
On the LG and the Sony, I also have to set the smoothness to maximum on both sets to eliminate judder, because if you turn smoothing off the judder is awful.

I'm at my wits end now and totally fed up with trying to adjust the settings.
I hope this makes sense and just wonder if I'm ever going to like the OLED screen.
Is it a case of spending a fortune on a higher end OLED or do I go for a top end QLED.

Any help and advise really appreciated.

Paul
Quick update on this...the UHD football problem was cured by turning off black adjust...Maybe i am getting there with the settings

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom