1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Odd noises from Denon amp...!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Captain chaos, Aug 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I bought a Denon 1803 amp a little while ago, and like most things I buy, it just sits in my cupboard as I can never be bothered to actually try the thing out.

Now ive just sat down and listened to a bit of music and a few films via my Panasonic S75 DVD player, and I have to say, the sound quality isn't great, in fact, its bad.

There seems to be 'crackling' or some kind of distortion on some sounds (higher pitch). Ive heard people say you have to "wear in" your equipment for you to hear the best from your speakers and amp, as both the amp and speakers are brand new, would this apply or is the whole "wearing in" talk a load of old Tottenham?

I have KEF eggs MkII hooked up via Ixos 6003 speaker cable.

Ive established it isn't the DVD player, as I have just hooked it up to my Sony 700 and it sounds the same, and I doubt its the speakers, as its pretty unlikely that all 5 speakers have a fault, so it must be the amp.
    Im just wondering if the amp is faulty, or if this is just how the amp normally operates...

This crackling/distortion only occurs on higher pitch sounds, but at any volume.

Anyone have any advice?

2. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    It should not be crackling at all, I have a older Denon AVR 1802 and it is clear is a bell sound wise.

Is on movies, music or both?

What are the speaker channels set at?
    Is the Bass and Treble contols set to Zero?
    Have you calibated it all with a SPL meter?

You could well have a bad receiver.

3. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    to add to those questions, is it on all inputs? which inputs are you using, analogue or digital?

just to be clear: "Ive established it isn't the DVD player, as I have just hooked it up to my Sony 700 and it sounds the same".. does that mean the crackling is still there or not?

4. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i to have the 1802, and there are no probs with mine