1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help & observations for a Sony KV 28DX30

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stick, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Stick

Stick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I finally had enough of the 100hz on my previous tv, KV28FX60 (could not put up with all those strange picture 'quirks' on anything that wasn't a DVD picture!!).
    I have replaced it with a 28DX30. Initial impressions are good, slightly better build quality than in recent designs and a razor sharp and colourful rich picture. It really excels when using the digital tuner for the BBC etc. and using a sky digibox.

There are problems though. When showing a standard 4:3 picture it displays two very bent black bars at the sides of the screen. This is probably the worst case of bad geometry I've seen. Using the picture rotation feature doesn't help this at all. Another thing I noticed is that it does not like RGB being feed from my DVD (Sony 536, all relavent settings are seemingly correct)so I have fed it in S-video which seems fine.

I am also wondering if the sound may be faulty, because I find I have to turn the volume up alot further on this set to hear clear dialogue, which is generally quite muffled and thin. Generally the sound seems nowhere as good as on the FX60, and this is after playing with every sound and setup feature there is.

I have tried to get the service menu up using the button sequence for the FX60 but it didn't work. Has anybody else had any problems with either geometry or sound?, and is there a specific way to access the service menu? or should I call the service engineers in?

Anyone????

Stick.

P.S I am not really using the on board digital EPG etc so I am not really aware of problems it might have. (I only want it because it was the only 50hz Sony with 3 scarts I knew of.

[ 29-04-2001: Message edited by: Stick ]

[ 29-04-2001: Message edited by: Stick ]

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It is geometry, off by remote

? 5 Vol up and TV - you may need to use a Sony DVD remote or other Sony TV remote for the TV my DX20 needs the get rid of teletext button on my DVD remote

See www.kv32tweak.freeuk.com

Also use a good Scart as SVM ruins any non RGB input, if you have any ghosting problems (not aware of any on DX30) try setting a channel to RGB. Ghosting might be caused by DVB tuner outputting to Scart1 in RGB

My DVD is very good by RGB

3. Stick

Stick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Martin,
    I'll check it out over the next day or so.

Stick