Help - Nuisance Parking Problem

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by boyimace, Apr 30, 2007.

1. boyimace

boyimace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I live in a little row of houses which have private parking to the rear, in the past few months there has been people parking not from our little block, this has annoyed the hell out of some of the homeowners (a few are rented and prob don't care) - Does anybody have any experience of how to get rid of them!

We've tried signs saying Residents only and Private Car Park, we put a note on the windscreen only for them to return a few days later, we are debating putting up a chain or parking post but this is going to intefere with access in terms of having to lock/unlock all the time and we discussed using a clamping/fining company but this last one has been dismissed as during the day the only people in are old folk who don't want to be harrassed by the owner of the vehicles.

Council won't help, police say nothing useful other then what we have tried already, i'm up for damaging the cars on a midnight mission - im sure pretty soon they'll give up parking there!

Any ideas people?

2. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898

What a lovely person you must be.:thumbsdow

3. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Have you thought about going half way with clamping:

I would get some signs made up that are extremely clear and visable - Clamping in Operation - Permit holders only.

Then print up some little disk permits yourselfs and hand them to all the residents and visitors.

Anyone trying to park there will see the signs - and also notice that the other cars have permits in them ..... this may act as a deterent.

Maybe install a CCTV camera or even a fake one - if people think they are being watched there is more chance they will think they will be caught by the clampers real or not.

Make sure all your nehighbours are in on it and aware of the situation etc - and not to discuss it with no residents ...

Worth a try if you don't want to actually have vehicles clamped etc.

I would not damaged or do anything to any vehicles .... as the person may decide that it is obviously a resident thats done it and seek revenge ... leading to escalations and nastiness all round.

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Clamping or an electric gate would be the only options I'd go for.

5. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Don't you need to be licensed to clamp vehicles even on your own property. We had the same problem when we lived in flats behind some shops. Even notes stating that they were on private property and therby trespassing.

In the end we had some remote electric gates put on, expensive but the only solution that worked.

6. boyimace

boyimace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oh i'm a very nice person, I've just had enough! Obviously in between honing your immense psychological profiling skills have you got anything useful to say regarding helping resolve this problem??

Thanks all the rest of you who have actually responded with suggestions, Ethics yours is a interesting one, will bring that up, never thought about a electric gate, will have to investigate that one too, keep em coming people thanks :thumbsup:

7. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898

Had the same problem with a neighbour, last thing i would of done though is damage there cars.Sort of thing chavs go around doing.

I took my problem up with my solicitor and got it sorted,i take it your situation is different though. I would look at get a barrier put in place im sure if everyone as upset as you they would be willing to chip a few £ in.

8. udsf

udsf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    all well and good with barriers etc - but why should the OP have to spend money to protect his parking?

the sort of person abusing private parking must accept there is the chance of accidental damage?

9. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898

Agree with you but it's probably the only way they will stop people parking there.

10. udsf

udsf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    unless of course their vehicles suffer accidental damage:rolleyes:

i had the problem once - and stuck big notices on their windscreen with 'cow gum' - did no damage but took them hours to get it off - game sorted:D

11. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Nothing helpful here, but we used to have an end-terrace holiday home in Cornwall with a garage. The road space outside the garage was just wide enough to get a car in and out. However, there was often someone parked right outside the garage. Quite a pain when we wanted to go somewhere for the day. We left lots of notes each time they were there, and we made friends with the local traffic warden who would always give them a ticket because it was a no parking zone anyway. But they would still park there.

One day dad noticed the car was unlocked, so he climbed in, let the handbrake off and moved the car thirty feet down the road. Five minutes later while we were getting our car out... "WHERE'S MY CAR?!?!" :rotfl: The look on her face was the best part of the holiday. Dad explained to her that the garage was in use most days and she stormed off in her car.

I don't understand why she couldn't just park by the side of our house where there was plenty of room. It was also a no-parking zone but at least it would have been less hassle for us.

"Damn non-locals" and all that, but wouldn't it make sense to not park in front of any garage if you're going to be a while?

12. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    I'm watching this with interest as I habitually leave my car in a residential street (nb not in a residents or restricted parking area). I make every effort to leave it parked neatly and out of the way but I guess it probably irks some of the residents.

That said, if the car was attacked without any form of notice or warning first, I'd be off to find the nastiest MOT failure I could on ebay locally and leave it locked up in the street, with the keys down the nearest drain.

13. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    If it's your own land you can clamp people.

So long as...

You put up clear notices warning of the penalties. Basically you are charging people to park on the land. The clamp is one way of enforcing it. I'd avoid using one of the clamping companies as many of them use dubious practices to say the least. There may be some decent 'parking enforcement companies' but a lot are no more than 2 blokes and a clamp working out of a portakabin.

Clamping, however, would only be of use with persistent offendors.

The alternative to an electric gate are the electric bollards and barriers. see here: http://www.parkingcontrol.co.uk/shop_car-park-barriers.asp

£1300 for an electric barrier.

14. boyimace

boyimace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    haha see an abandoned car i could quite happily deal with! Its when the car is actually being used. Basically its someone using your drive, what is the first thing that comes into your head... I can't believe the police and council will happily do diddly squat, whats worst its the same car doing it over and over again! Its causing friction between neighbours who normally get on very well, hey just thought, if we get a mot failure and remove the wheels and park it right behind the offenders... that would be good haha

15. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    If it IS a persistent offender then get them clamped. They'll soon get the message.

As I mentioned, get some prominent signs put up so that they can't argue they'd didn'y know that parking enforcement was being operated. Perhaps issue them with a warning first.

Second time charge them £50 release fee (or whetever you want to charge really). All perfectly legal. It's your land, you are giving notice that they will be charged for parking on said land.

The clamping charge is the cost for parking on the land. Simple as that.
    I doubt they'll be back again. :thumbsup:

16. boyimace

boyimace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am all for clamping but the other neighbours (all old folk) are not up for anyone banging on their doors and just generally being confrontational, I personally wouldn't mind that as my missus and I are quite proficient in karate and muay thai unfortunately were not in during the day so it wouldn't be us answering the door, I don't want my neighbours getting hurt or being scared to open the door in their own home.

I've also just checked and the tarmac that covers the car park isn't hard enough to put a parking post that bolts down it'll have to be one that is cemented down but unfortunately there seems to be some drainage that runs exactly where we'd be digging! I'm thinking a chain barrier with secure fixings on either side, but that is going to affect wheelie bins/bikes/walking out of the back of the houses as you'll have to unlock then lock as you go out etc... I can't believe people don't respect other peoples private land!

17. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
    Would driving your car right alongside or behind the offenders and using a padlocked chain to connect your towing points be an effective gesture as well? :)

18. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    sorry im with hunts.

my parents dont have a road outside their house, so i have to park infront of someone elses house. one has 3 cars and a driveway to fit them all on, the other has two cars and space to fit one on.

they purposely park their cars off the driveway so i cant park my car their when visiting.

one night after visiting my mums for less than 30 mins, jump in my car, drive off to get petrol and my tyre collapses after a couple of roads.

have a look at it and some :censored: had put a screwdriver thru the sidewall, no repairs possible so cost me £47 for a new tyre (the tyre that was damaged had only 1k miles on it aswell!)

so before you go damaging someones car like an utter :censored: think first and do something else. they may be visiting afterall.

and cheers ed selly for the suggestion :thumbsup:

19. boyimace

boyimace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    haha see i had hunts on my back for just a general remark regarding damaging their vehicle but you guys are coming up with stuff I haven't even thought about yet!

20. boyimace

boyimace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Sorry but you seem to be thinking that i would endanger someones life, at no point did i mention doing something to the car to affect the safety, its you who assumed that.... :nono:

and since we (myself and neighbours) have become very vigilant we know they are not visiting, there is a public space for parking less than 100m away which we have made it aware to them and yet they still flout our good nature and test our patience.

21. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
    I'm sorry but that is a completely different scenario with respect to parking. Public roads are just that, public. Everyone has a right to park there, and anyone trying to intimidate others legally parked is plainly wrong.

In this instance we are talking about getting vehicles parked illegally off private land. I don't condone doing damage in any instance, but any legal "persuasion" is fair game.

22. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    im not looking to pick a fight, parking on private property is wrong, but so is damaging someones vehicle. two wrongs dont make a right, and believe me i was sorely tempted to get revenge but thought better of it.

and i dont think anyone on this forum would have the capability to endanger someones life thru damaging a motor vehicle as you must be dim witted to do such a thing.

just saying nomatter how ****** off you get dont lower yourself to their level.

unfortunately you may have to pay to get things fixed, reach an agreement with neighbours and find something suitable to stop people parking.

at work we have a barrier system which uses RFID tags to open the gate, easy to use and im sure you could find something sililar for cheap.

failing that stick a pole with a padlock on it in the entrance way. either horizontally or vertically, it may be tarmac but tarmac is only so deep!

23. Paulie-W

Paulie-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +493
    Sneak a nice but very small piece of raw fish somewhere on the problem cars (like in the front air vents) :devil: In this weather they will most likely get the point.

24. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    From 3rd May 2005, wheel-clamping on private land without a licence became a criminal offence. Anyone clamping, towing or blocking vehicles for a fee will now need a licence from the Security Industry Authority.

25. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,612
    How is that really going to help? If you notice it at the time you get rid of it then the residents have a bit of old fish laying in the street.
    If not, you get rid of it later!

If you have private parking then I'd start out with putting some cones out when you aren't there.
    You can always escalate to signs afterwards. Maybe even polite signs that "Please don't park here, its private property and I always bring dirty great vans through here and they have a habit of bashing strangers cars"... Or something nice like that.

but I wouldn't expect any help from the police as its its not a criminal matter, its a civil dispute against an unknown person or persons and I wouldn't expect any help from the council as it is private parking, as you have said.

26. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,009
    Leave the car on bricks and hide the wheels?

When the owner asks if you saw anything, say you thought it was a gift as it was in your space and since you don't need another car, were selling it off for parts.

27. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    try getting in touch with local private clampers. they might be happy to stick up signs in the hope they will be able to catch and fine some folks. i doubt they would charge you as they would make money on clamping/towing and the cost of a sign is negligable

i'd also check the legality of sticking hard to remove A3/A4 stickers on the windscreen. i'm sure if you stick one of them on all (not just one) the windows will put someone off from parking there again. if that don't put them off the first time, after covering all the windows a second time then it's maybe time to reconsider your options

i wouldn't vandalise any cars as you could end up getting in trouble yourself. you never know what cameras are recording what. with persistant cases i might be inclined to let the air out of the tyres if all your other options are exhausted. not actual damage, but i'm sure the inconvenience will put them off, especially if the windows are covered in stickers, they must surely get the point then

as to buying a car and leaving it parked in a street where your car was vandalised, thats a crazy idea. you can't tell if it was residents doing it cuz of your parking, or just idiot kids who don't even live there. to spend time and money going to that effort just isn't worth it. surely you would need to register the car sale and the police could fine you for unlawful tipping or something

28. boyimace

boyimace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No don't think you understand, if i was that way inclined i would buy a spares/repairs/mot failure and park it right behind his car and thus the fun would ensue...

29. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,550
    Does each house have a space or is it a general free for all, but for residents? Could you put a security post on each space? that would avoid the wheelie bin/ pedestrian issue. If they were the lay down type you might not even need to put them up as your miscreant may get worried about being locked in.

Dave

30. RuddyRoad

RuddyRoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,445
    I reckon you should install the padlocked chain after they have parked, or get together with your neighbours and deliberately jam them in with your cars. They'll have to come knocking on your door, with a very apologetic approach to get you to release them. Can't see any of this being illegal, and if it was me I wouldn't park there again.