Help! Novice at Satellite Systems

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Asaf, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Asaf

Asaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I live in Thailand (orginally from the states) and I have been trying to review satellite systems vs our limited choice of 1 digital cable provider!

Does anyone know if I have to buy a 8 feet dish to get any signal here in Bangkok? The dealers here say you need it for both C and KU band to reach some of the other countries broadcasts.

I have been trying to figure out when you see all the listings at www.lyngsat.com and they talk about ‘free to air’ TV does that mean you will be able to pick up any of the stations that are listed under this category? If so, it seems like you could get allot of good channels compared to the regular Thai soap operas on Thai TV all day long. I need some English channels to balance out my TV experience and was hoping to achieve a digital picture so it could go along with my future plasma TV.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Asaf in Thailand

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You won't be able to receive any of the satellites that we receive in the UK from Thailand, even with an 8 foot dish. The satellites would be below your horizon.

3. Asaf

Asaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nick,

Thanks for your feedback.

Asaf

4. Asaf

Asaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nick,

Just thought of another question. All the dealers here recommend 8ft dish because of the C and KU band issue. Do you think its necessary to buy such a big dish? This thing will need to be mounted on my two story house in which they say they can do it but its awful big!

Thanks,
    Asaf :thumbsup:

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    This depends on which channels you will fail to receive if you only have Ku band.
    C-band requires a larger dish to get a reasonable amount of gain or directivity.
    A larger dish also lowers suscpetibility to interference from transmissions from neighbouring satellites - ones that only 2 to 4 degrees away form the one you want can interfere or lower your signal to noise ratio.
    I have not checked the spacing requirements for your area. In the USA some satellites have only 2 degree spacing between them.
    Thus 10 feet is the standard minimum size recommendation used by keen channel hoppers and feedhunters over there who want C-band or 4DTV reception.

Chris Muriel, Manchester, UK

6. Asaf

Asaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chris,

Great information thanks. That makes sense because I do want to future proof my system so I can get DTV reception if possible if its out there. Also, being in Thailand I think i really have to hop around to find the best channels. It seems as NIck says I will be below the horizon to receive signals from UK so my best option is Australia and Phillipenes which currently produce allot of free air and other types of broadcasts in english!

Asaf- Thailand, Bangkok