help: No surround sound on Blue rays - PS3

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MBNoDolbly, Aug 11, 2013.

1. MBNoDolbly

MBNoDolbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks. new to the forum. Don't know much about audio set up, but my brother does and set up my dolby digital amp, surround sound (Not DTS). We encountered a weird issue. Hopefully someone can help. Here's the deal (sorry if my explanation sounds pedestrian).

DVDs, video games and cable where dolby applicable -- and older blue rays with no DTS (dark knight returns for example) the surround sound works great.

However, on most DVDs with DTS, the previews before the movie, the surround sound works, but then turns off when the main movie begins. Here's the weird thing:

When I check the audio display on the PS3 remote, it is set to DTS. However, when I change the language channel to french or spanish, the setting changes to multichannel dobly, and the surround sound works. But there is absolutely no option to change the main english channel to dobly, even though all Blue Rays that have DTS have dobly and doblyHD listed on the back as well. It is stuck on DTS and I get no surround sound (although I still get straight audio from the rear speakers).

also, I have at least one movie, Ong Bak 2, that says it is DTS, but plays with surround sound. So weird.

Please help!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. NickInWiltshire

NickInWiltshire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    It sounds like the blu-ray is playing as DTS. Try using the setup menu of the disk itself to change the audio. This is usually where you can select a different audio encoding if you need to.

3. s_d_grif

s_d_grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    PS3™ | Audio Output Settings

Check what audio options are setup on the PS3 - is DTS ticked as an option? If so unselect it.

Also, a few DTS discs seem to default to Dolby (so you have to rather annoyingly select DTS under the audio options before starting the disc if you want it).