Help: No sound over HDMI - Sony STR-DH800 AV receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Exogenic, Jan 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Exogenic

Exogenic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I've scoured Google and have no where else to turn.

My house's Sony receiver will not output sound over HDMI. I get picture just fine, but there's no sound. Currently my workaround when playing media off of a laptop is to use a Y-cable into Video 2 and a VGA cable directly into my Mitsubishi HC3800 projector (bypassing the receiver). This works well enough, but it's very inelegant and of poorer quality. Analog output works fine with audio and video. There is also no sound when hooked up to my HD tuner. The HDMI cable is 1.3 category 2 rated.

I've tried changing the HDMI AUDIO OUT setting to TV+AMP and AMP but to no avail. I also notice the speaker indicator lights on the receiver's LCD panel light up for the other input selections (Video 1, Video 2, BD, SAT, etc.) but not for the four HDMI inputs.

Can someone help me? I've been troubleshooting this for hours.

Thank you for your help!

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    The first thing I would check is that the Audio Input mode is set to Auto and not Analog.

3. Exogenic

Exogenic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Each input has it's own setting, auto or analog, all of which I've changed to auto. You can't change the audio input on the HDMI connections, since they're digital by nature.

4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Are you sure your laptop's HDMI output is audio-enabled and correctly configured (including combination audio/video driver) and is not just DVI over HDMI?

5. Exogenic

Exogenic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone, I've discovered the sound actually was working with the HD tuner, just not with my laptop or the HTPC. I'm confident this is just a driver issue now, thanks for all your help guys.