• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help! No Sound at all from my Yamaha RX-V679 Receiver

barryblack34

Novice Member
Hello everyone, I have had a Yamaha RX-V679 receiver for about a year and a half. I bought it knowing I would use it in a sports bar/man cave set up one day. For the last 18 months I had only been using the Zone 2 function for some ceiling mounted kitchen speakers. Everything was great!

Fast forward to this week, man cave setup in the basement is almost done. I bought speakers for a 5.1 surround setup. Unfortunately, no sound is coming out at all! I have swapped inputs, tried connecting the front speakers to Zone 2 (which I knew had always worked), tried streaming Spotify from the MusicCast app...unfortunately, nothing will produce sound from the speakers. I even ran the kitchen speakers down to the basement (because I know they work...just in case, in the incredibly random chance all 5 new speakers were somehow faulty).

Any thoughts on what could be wrong or how to fix it?

Attachments

• 20190208_222610.jpg
    20190208_222610.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 195

dante01

Distinguished Member
Did you remember to switch the remote to the MAIN zone, select a source for that zone and adjust the volume relative to that zone?

If you were only using the second audio zone abilities of the receiver then it is more than likely that the remote is set to Zone 2 and that the main zne onboard the AV receiver is set to Standby?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes, but did you then ensure that the MAIN room wasn't in standby and that the volume for the main room wasn't muted or set at a very low level? The Standby status, source and volume for each zone are all independent of each other.

I guess you could try a factory reset of the AV receiver which should return its configurations to how they'd been when the unit orginally shipped as new (apart from firmware updates which would still be applicable). See page 122 of the owners manual for instructions on how to reset the AV receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom