1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! NO SIGNAL intermittent on Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AndyCruse, Jun 24, 2004.

1. AndyCruse

AndyCruse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys
    I have a PanasonicTH-42PWD6 and I connect via the D-SUB Connection (Component) using a Van Damme Cable from the Component Out on my Sony STR-DA3000ES AV Amp. My sources (Sony DVD player, Sky+, Pinnacle Showcenter and XBOX) all connect to the AMP via SVID cables and the AMP upconverts to Component. I have no other way of connecting my devices to the Panny without going through the amp as I have no add in board to allow other types of connections. Everything has worked perfectly for the last 3 months or so, until just recently.

THE PROBLEM: For no apparent reason every now and again sometimes once or twice and then sometimes far more often, the screen goes black and I get a NO SIGNAL message on screen, usually just momentarily but sometimes it lasts as much as 10-15 seconds before the picture returns. Its driving me crazy and I can't see whats causing it. It can happen when watching Sky or playing on XBOX. Not sure about DVD or Showcenter as havent used them much this week. Point is it's not a Sky signal problem. I've obviously triple checked all cable connections.

Ive searched similar threads but not found an answer. Anyone have any ideas. The annoying thing is im not sure if its the Screen or the Amp that might have a problem making it harder to troubleshoot or report as an issue to the vendor.

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It might be because you're using the amplifier to upscale Sky and the XBox, which isn't the best way anyway. I think if you considered using Sky and the XBox (with Microsoft Advanced SCART lead) via an RGB to Component converter you'd avoid the upscaling in the amplifier, and get a better image on your screen too.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. AndyCruse

AndyCruse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think youre right, it is the Amp....but more because it has a fault than because its not the way to do things. I found this site yesterday:
    http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13598&forum=51&start=10&select_page_number=2

and the crux of this article talks about a problem with this range of Amps which Sony are addressing in a rather underhand way and carrying out a silent recall. Below is an extract from the thread which describes exactly what's happening to me. So it sounds like I need to get my Amp repaired by Sony....damn:

Issue: Video Up Conversion Issue: affects STR-DA3000ES/STR-DA5000ES
    Intermittently, the signal from the component video output will not be properly synchronized resulting in no picture on the connected display device. This occurs only in cases where video is being “up converted” to component from composite or S-video sources.

Modification:
    The video-up conversion circuit will be modified to prevent the synchronize drop-out.

4. AndyCruse

AndyCruse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addition although your suggestion may result in a slightly better picture this problem will affect all my sources.....since I only have a component input on the Plasma I would need to convert all my sources to component...not just Sky and Xbox.....which I why I went for this amp in first place as it is supposed to be able to do just that.

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Andy,

from the description, I thought it was the amplifier. While you can use it to route component without any problem, I'm guessing that you've only really got a VCR in addition. This could be routed directly to the composite input. If you've got more than one composite source, could the amplifier route this without up-scaling?

I still say that converting Sky and the XBox via a component converter will give you better picture, and if you wish to get the best from your system is something that you should seriously consider.

All the best,

John.

6. AndyCruse

AndyCruse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John...maybe I'll try that sometime if I can loan one first and see what diff it makes.

Re sources...no, if you see my original post I also have a DVD and Pinnacle Showcenter which would need routing as well. I do have a VCR but never use it anymore and to be honest the performance through the amp was awful anyway...kind of flickery which is probably due to the same problem of the upconversion not working as it should.

The other thing I mentioned is that I dont have any other inputs on the Plasma...Im using the built in DSUB component connection. If I want to add more inputs (composite/scart/svid etc) then I have to buy add in boards at around £150 each which is more added expense that I dont need assuming the Sony AV amp worked the way it claimed too.

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Andy,

ok, I assumed that you had an extra input card. I feel it's a good idea to have this extra card, it gives you more flexibility in the future even if you don't intend to use it.

Obviously since you're basing around the amplifier and it's ability to up scale, then its a major problem when it doesn't work as advertised. For this, you've got to talk with Sony.

As for the DVD player, does it have component output? If not, then route via Sky + and then in to a component converter. Use the Master SCART Controller to give you more inputs if required. You can then either connect directly to the screen or via the amplifier. The only solution if the amplifier is a major problem really is to only use it for video routing, so S-Video in gives you S-Video out. And then get a terminal board for the screen.

All the best,

John.

8. cyrus-t

cyrus-t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had the same problem .... got a daewoo dp42sp (yeh yeh I know) and it has the 5 BNC variety component.
    If I use component out from either my dvd, PS2 or Sky box via JS Tech convertor, I get this problem......

I'm getting rid of the Daewoo. Dead pixels as well.