1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Newbie wanting Camera!!!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by WBC, Jul 27, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I have read the sticky....I have also read the post about the £300 recommendation.

However..............

I am also looking to spend £300 on a Camera/Memory/Batteries
    (Although to be honest I'm happy to buy batteries and memory at a later date, if the extra saving would considerably increase the picture quality of the camera!!)

Can anyone PLEASE help with recommendations. I struggle to trust a shop salesman!!

My thoughts............

I like the idea of a camera that uses AA batteries.

I have NO interests in gimmicks....I don't need movie capability (I have a DV video camera for that).

Size and Looks are fairly important, in that, no ones interested in carrying around a house brick ;)

Picture quality is of the utmost importance (Obviously)

I am considering a course in photography so manual features would be nice, although automatic are more important because the family will use it as well.

I have heard, for example, that a 3megapixel camera can be better quality than say a 5megapixel camera. Apparently its not all about the pixel size. IS THIS TRUE??????

I don't know where to start with my quest to purchase, so as previously stated ALL RECOMMENDATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thanks
    Stace :D

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Depends on the measure of quality!!!!

There are many thing to consider.

5 megapixels is better than 3 megapixels all else being the same.

But optics play an important part in the resultant image. So a 3 megapixel camera with good lens could outperform a 5 megapixel ultracompact camera because of the compromises made for small cameras!!

It also depends on what you do with the images. For web 1 megapixel will do. For 4x6 then 2 megapixel will do
    for A4 3-4 megapixel and so on. 5 megapixels would be wasted if you only needed it for web pages. On the other hand 3 megapixels would struggle for posters.

Problem is there is a camera for every permutation of requirements. The hardest thing is determining what you really want from the camera!!

From what you typed the canon A70 looks a good match.

3. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I guess it will mostly be used for 8x10. But the option to go bigger would be a bonus.

How do I tell a good lense from a bad one???

Also, how often are new models of cameras released. Am I buying at the right time or are there some new models due for release shortly????

Thanks Again

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Never a good time to buy!! As soon as you buy its dated, thats technology for you!

If its large prints then go for 4MP plus. This will also give you more scope for cropping to get better composition.

Websites like www.dpreview.com are very good for looking at the finer details of cameras. There are numerous tests to determine lens quality.

Most cameras in the price range you are after will make various compromises on lens to accomodate size, cost, etc. But few of them do a really bad job, its just that few of them will come near a good quality SLR.

5. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nunew33,

Thanks for your replies.

I have been reading up a bit and was set on the A70, however can't seem to find one online so I'm guessing I may need to look at something different.

I thought about the Sony 5megapixel (a little bit more expensive but 5mp instead of 3mp) but you have mentioned that lens quality can be compromised by size etc. The Sony is pretty small so I'm guessing I'd be better off staying in my original budget with something larger. Is this true????

All recommendations appreciated. You guys know what your talking about!!!!

Thanks

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To be honest the best thing is to narrow down a short list, go to the likes of jessops or pcworld look at them in the flesh, ask for a demonstration etc.

Look on uk.pricerunner.com for links to where to buy the A70.

Most compacts will be compromised on lenses.

Look at ww.dpreview for in depth analysis.

You may find that what you pay extra for isnt of value to you. So its important to see and play with what you think you want before you commit. Even things like menus make a difference

7. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Stace,

As nunew33 says have a look at a few in Jessops, some cameras are just toys when you actually use them.

I usually buy from Jessops, they will price match online sellers.
    I take a printout with me of best prices from pricerunner, phone cheap supliers first to check stock, and Jessops will always match the price in my experience. You sometimes really have to ask though.....

You will get much better warranty service from Jessops than cheapest mail order sites.

Nikon do some good small cameras, not sure what latest model is, but probably much more than £300.

I have a Nikon Coolpix 995, only 3 megapixels, but produces excellent prints up to A4 size on an Epson 890 printer.

If you look at http://www.pbase.com/markgrant the shots in the 'animals' gallery are with the 995. The pool shots in the 995 gallery are as they come from the camera, no sharpening in photoshop etc, size has been reduced for web.

Choosing a camera is a nightmare, because there is always a better one for another £100....

I now have a Canon D60 SLR, so Coolpix 995 is for sale if anyone is interested :)

good luck,

Mark.