help newbie to select a budget AV receiver

GoldFish

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade my 6 years old prologic amp (Yamaha 595 __ I think).

Budget : £300 - £600

Wish list of features

DPL II
DD ex
DTS es
6.1 inputs
Above average on 2 channel stereo performance
Accepts phono input as I still have a vast collection of vinyl.
Good surround sound performance

Make and models considered :

Yammy 630 / 730
Denon 2802 / 3802
Marantz 6200 / 7200
Sony ES555 / 333

Lets have your constructive view to help me decide please

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, have not heard of the Marantz 5300... is it the same as the 5200 ?

T

new model only been out a month or so. think it has some extra bits ask Kevb he has the 5200. seriously couldn't fault my 5300. it has 6.1 decoding (ie for those few dts-es discrete encoded dvds with the extra rear centre) and 6.1 inputs for dvd-audio and sacd players. also has dts neo6 and circle surround although its dolby pro-logic2 beats them both hands down and sounds great with stereo music sources.

I have an SR5200 for sale at the moment in the classified ad section of this site.
There has been some interest but it may be worth a look for you.

Richard.

P.S. Yes it is very good and has all the things you mention above. EX and ES are done via a marantz mode but sound excellent.

Have a 630 & I am still in love with it:blush:

Seriously, It does the job as described. I auditioned the Marantz 5200 & was not as impressed with it on the AV side of things - the pod race in SWTPM is awesome and the whole of Blade 2 is incredible. If CD music is really important to you, then the Marantz has the edge there. One big factor in the Yamaha's favour at the moment is its price - I paid £320 for mine (just after it had been released so you may be able to do better)

I would say though that if you bought any of those amps on your list, you will probably not be disappointed

Originally posted by ricdiggle

P.S. Yes it is very good and has all the things you mention above. EX and ES are done via a marantz mode but sound excellent.

I think that is probably the difference between the two models then, EX and ES (matrix and discrete) are the real deal on the 5300

The 630 and the 5300 don't have phono inputs tho. The 730 does as does the Denon 1803 - haven't looked at the 2802 or 3802. You could plug the record deck into another input socket, but the lack of inputs makes me wonder if the amp will pick up the weak phono signal - anybody tried it?

Got the 630se and it is the business esp when it comes to film. Get hold of the what hi-fi 2-3mths ago for the "tech" review. After listening to blade 2 on DTS 6.1....impressive. The only down side is that it has not got Neo6. But that might not matter too much. At £297 at QED....can't complain! Note that these new brands of Yam amps are vastly superior in Music and Films compared to 595a generation.

You could plug the record deck into another input socket, but the lack of inputs makes me wonder if the amp will pick up the weak phono signal - anybody tried it?

It will sound nasty, lacking in bass. What you need is a phono stage or phono pre-amp, they are the same thing. Basically they boost the turntables low signal to line level so it can be used by any auxillary line in.

A good pre-amp is the phono box sold at http://www.hifistore.co.uk

Thanks Kearney

I'd discounted the getting the 630 myself cos of the lack of phono input - didn't know about this device - I'll have to think again now.

Originally posted by nijh
Thanks Kearney

phono input - didn't know about this device - I'll have to think again now.

I think you'll find that the off-board phono amplifier is better than the one you get in a budget AV amp anyway.:)

Kearney - which pre amp do you mean - the £40 or the £100 one?

Kearney - which pre amp do you mean - the £40 or the £100 one?

I meant the one for 40£ i have heard it got good reviews. I havent got one yet but i am planning to bulid a sound system soon, I quite like the look of the marantz 5300 and would get that 40£ pre amp for a nice turntable to play some old classical vinyl:D

it won't as Neo6 is rubbish compared to DPL2, as is Circle Surround.

James45,

Do u think so?. I thought that having that extra pair of speakers (rear centre) might consolidate the achievement of PL2. Or is it difficult enough to acheive decoding 5-channels from 2-channel source, let alone a 6-channels from a 2-channel source!

I'm surprised nobody has mentiojned the Arcam AVR200.
It's available for £595 online.

I'm not a fan of the original 100, but this newer model is a vast improvement. I was considering it myself but not listened to it yet.

It has most of the features you want, but by all accounts its sound quality is far and above the competition at its price point, which is supposed to be £800 by the way.

Go to www.audioreview.com and read people's own opinions on it, aswell as the other models you're looking at. It can be quite a revelation when you read 'real world' reviews and not magazine ones!

Joshua

it's not just a case of missing out on the extra channel, the sound quality on both Neo6 and Circle Surround is somewhat muted, lacking in clarity and impact and everso slightly muddled (especially when it comes to dialogue). DPL2 is light-years ahead of both of those formats for stereo film or TV tracks. Its impact and clarity put it in a different league.

hi

Many thanks for the information provided. Sorry for the belated response as I have been working away from home for the last week and have only been able to secure some demos at the weekend.

Have agreed the Marantz were slightly better on two channel stereo CD input.... but the lack of phono input forces me to look else where.

The Denon I heard was the much praised 3802, but to my ears I find its sound were muddled and bass heavy... Perhaps I'm tone deaf or might be that the matching speaker were not compatible.

The Yamaha were, as Wilber say, excellent in DTS and DPLII... after a quick dem with some scenes from Vertical Limits have me reaching for my cheque book

Have the unit installed yesterday and I’m now very happy with my decision. Btw the Yamy I bought if the RXV730 and at £399.00 I do consider it to be a BIG BARGAIN !
:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom