1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Newbie - Choosing Hi-Fi System

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by bodgie316, Jun 1, 2004.

1. bodgie316

bodgie316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi im new to this Hi-Fi Stuff and i was wondering which of these 3 hi-fi systems would you choose and why, and if possible could you please explain some of the features of each as i dont know what they mean.

These are the 3:
    1) Sony MHCRG440 - 3cd, 100Wx2 + 100W subwoofer mini system
    2) Panasonic SC-AK520 - 5cd, MP3, 65Wx2 (high range) + 65Wx2 (low range) + 160W Subwoofer mini system
    3) Phillips FWM779 - 5cd, MP#, 2x250W mini system

Hope you can help, any assistance is appreciated
    Respond either here or to my email stephen_bradley@iinet.com.au
    If you need links to product just check manufacturers sites (www.sony.com.au www.panasonic.com.au and www.phillips.com.au

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hmmm...hifi systems? Not exactly hifi, but everyone has to start somewhere, so why not with a midi setup. Those three machines are all-in-one CD/Radio setups for playing music. I suspect the Sony has the best sound, but the (very ugly IMO) Panasonic would probably go loudest. All do the job they were made for.

Explain the features? Sony has 3 CD changer, the other two are 5 CD changers. Forget about the Power ratings, they are inflated and meaningless in this context. Just check out the one which has the correct mix of CD/Radio/Tape/Minidisk for your listening pleasure and go for it. :)

3. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, my first hi-fi . . . Garrard turntable, Eagle amplifier, Wharfdale Linton speakers . . . Oh to be 16 again. But enough of my reminiscing.

Have you considered Denon at all, specifically the D-M31 system. It comprises a CD/Receiver and speakers, but then offers the option of adding a matching Cassette Deck and MD Recorder as and when budget allows (and, of course, if required). Check here - Products - Mini & Micro Components.

4. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A separates system would sound (and look!) a lot better than those midi systems. If flashing lights and gaudy colours are your thing then go for one of the above, but you could probably do better for your money.

5. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Denon DM-31, Sony CPX-1, Linn Classik.

Any three of them, I would bet, would sound better than those hifis you mentioned at the beginning.

6. bodgie316

bodgie316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot for all your help, the main reason i was looking at those ones was the fact that i was just looking for a basic all in one system because i dont really know anything when it comes 2 systems made up of those separate bits. Could u give me any suggestions as to what would be good 4 a separate one, im looking to spend no more than $550 AU. Thanks

7. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Check this out. Perhaps just a little more than $550, but well worth it. And as I said before, as finances allow you can then buy some better speakers, add the cassette player and mini disc player/recorder.

8. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A really good bet would be to go into a shop that looks like it knows what's going on, but isn't going to laugh when you say that you want to spend $550. (I've never felt so poor when I walked into hi-fi experience on tottenham court road :()

I don't have a clue about prices down under, but anything from large brand names are fine. I find that you can't normally go wrong with sony kit. Marrantz also have a good range of budget kit. Oh, and there's always second hand stuff if you want to squeeze every last ounce of performance from your money.

The most important thing, no matter what anyone says on here is that if you like the sound then stick with it. My system is hardly ideal, but to my ears it sounds good. Everyone has to start somewhere.