HELP! New Toshiba 37WLT58 Cracked Screen

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by whi5tler, Mar 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. whi5tler

whi5tler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Please help, I had my Tosh deilvered on th 13th of January and then set about preparing the lounge by chasing the cables, re-plastering the wall etc. Came to tonight to try the new TV and after hanging it very carefully on the wall with my father when we powered it on it had a crack across the screen. :eek:

What could have caused this? Could have it done it in transit? Could us lifting it out of the box cracked it?

Any help would be appreciated I will try to post a picture.

Thanks!

2. whi5tler

whi5tler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

3. DamoSXI

DamoSXI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to see that m8

Must of been done in transit

4. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's enough to make you cry! Really sorry to hear that, and it looks terrible.

I would contact whoever you bought it from and tell them that you have only just opened the package (due to the room not being ready) and saw the damage. I wouldn't mention anything about mounting it, just in case they think it's your fault, and see what they say - you have a warranty.

If they are awkward and say you should have checked it on delivery you can say that you didn't want to take it out of the box until you were ready for it. If they don't believe you, or won't budge to replace it, the only thing I can think of is claiming on your house insurance - that is if you are covered by 'accidental damage'.

I'm really sorry if this is no advice is useless, I just wanted to try and help because I would be devastated.

5. peterpatch

peterpatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    It looks as though it might have been stored on its back or front and then either stood on, sat on or had some other weight on it. Hope you get the problem sorted.

6. igk101

igk101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Can you only see the crack when it's turned on? If it doesn't look damaged when it's switched off then I can't see a problem going back to whoever you bought it from and saying the screen is faulty. I can't tell from the photo...

7. whi5tler

whi5tler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can just about make out the crack when it's off if you look really close.

Thanks for all the comments.

Will have to give Freemans a ring tomorrow. I have got accidental cover but why should I have to claim off that if the problem was already there when I bought it?

This thing has been treated with kid gloves.

Anyways thanks for all the comments!

8. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    Really, I would not worry about this.

Freemans are a massive catalogue company, not some tiny dealer on tottenam court road.

Just phone them up and tell them it was like it when you 1st turned it on (must have been damaged before you got it) and I'm sure they will send out a replacement without any problems whatsoever.

9. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Looks nasty.

If the catalogue company doesn't want to play ball you could find it difficult to prove the damage occured in transit.

You've accepted delivery and had it for TWO months. I'm sure they could argue that this is beyond what would be considered a "reasonable" period of time to report the problem.

I'd say you could be on a sticky wicket when it comes to the Sales of Goods Act.

It doesn't help you now, but it's always a good idea to take something like this out of the box and check it as soon as it arrives. You can always put it back in the box afterwards until the decorating is finished.

I had a friend who had a Pioneer plasma that he'd left in the box for about a month while he decorated. It turned out to have a loud buzz and he had a devil of a time getting it swapped for another one.

Good luck getting that replacement!

10. Teppic

Teppic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Whoah! :eek:

I have to say that most retailers would probably never believe that it was left in the box unchecked for so long after it's delivery, and would accuse you of having caused it yourself somehow. :( Maybe with it not being a highstreet retailer or small online store you may just be lucky enough to have them replace it. If it's really difficult to see the damage when it's not turned on then that should help you a little, but they could be difficult if they wanted to be because it's not really unreasonable for them to have expected you to have plugged it in at least once just to be sure it worked soon after you received it...

It's a really nasty situation, and i'm sorry you're having to deal with it. :( There's no harm in calling them though - it's not like you have much to loose by trying to return it.

This really goes to show how important it is to check over such an expensive purchase as soon as possible, as with every day that passes you're of course being put into a weaker and weaker position if you eventually find whatever you bought is broken when you get round to finally taking it out of it's packaging. This is definitely a tale for others to learn from.

Good luck Whi5tler!

11. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    eek that is pretty bad :( I can't believe someone would spend £1600 on something without even opening it, inspecting and testing it. I always check every purchase even a DVD at £5!

I think you have no chance on getting it repaired or replaced free of charge and the repair fee will be astronomical - if you didn't have the cover :eek: hopefully freemans damage insurance will cover it.

12. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    I actually missed the fact that you'd had it for 2 months.

But I'll still say, act positive, tell the truth and fingers crossed all will go.
    If they don't believe you, you can always write a REAL paper letter and get signatures from others who can confirm your decorating story, but to be honest, I think their customer relations will not let things get this far.

In saying this, I actually bought a surround speaker system some time ago, and left it sealed in a box for 2 years before I unpacked it and used it !!!!

It was only £200 (bought it in a sale as I knew I would want it eventually)

13. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Phone Freemans, explain everything....I had a 42" Toshiba delivered and my wife signed for it whilst I was out, lleft it in the hallway as we were in the process of decorating and didn't open it up for a few days as we were then away.

When I finally went to move it, I wasn't too impressed as the box felt all loose and wobbly, sure enough upon opening it, the polystyrene was all broken at one end and the set was smashed....

I rang the delivery Co, who stated it should have been examined at time of signature when delivered....Fine, I said, but do you expect a small woman to lift a very heavy 42" set out of a large box on her own to inspect it?

Anyway, rang Freemans who didn't query it at all and replaced it within a week. Failing that, you may be covered by your card issuer, if you bought on a credit card.

Good luck.

14. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Are they suggesting you should open it up, visually inspect it, plug it into your system, wire it up, switch it on, check for dead pixels and other picture faults, change ratios, check all inputs, check sound, don't forget you'll need to read the manual front to back before using it!:rotfl: :rotfl:.....all whilst the courier is waiting on the doorstep? What a load of rubbish, all that would take me a good hour, more if I'm using a PC and need to check DVI so setup computer. If the courier did that they would do only do three deliveries a day and get sacked... it's just a excuse for the retailer to refuse refund/replacement :thumbsdow

(what I do) contact them within 24 hours with obvious fault such as DOA, cracked etc, or within 1 week for other faults ie buzzing, lock ups, lost settings, non working inputs etc.

15. telford_mike

telford_mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Exactly. If the packaging is obviously damaged it can help if you note this on the delivery note, but you can't possibly test the device itself. As you say, just an excuse that wouldn't stand up for 5 minutes if it came to a legal debate.

16. whi5tler

whi5tler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually got it on the 12th of Feb.

17. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Why don't you phone Freemans now, just tell them that you opened it over the weekend (stating that you couldn't before because of building situation) and there was a crack across the screen when you switched on!

As I said before, do not mention that you mounted it on the wall, you just took it out of the box and plugged it in. Go do it now and let us know how you get on - everyone can speculate and say what they think, but you won't find out until you make the call.

18. whi5tler

whi5tler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to freemans and they are arranging a swap out :clap: .

19. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well done whi5tler, congratulations I am very pleased for you. I could tell you were putting it off because you were fearing the worst. Did they ask any awkward questions or was it straightforward?

Anyway I am very pleased for you :smashin:

20. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Having seen the delivery slips that builders have signed for items delivered to my house whilst they working there, they always scrawl "NOT INSPECTED" on the delivery slip when signing. You are always thrust the piece of paper to sign when the driver has just put down the item and rushing out the door. I now always do this. At least, the company cannot argue that you have accepted the goods and seen their condition, merely just accepted delivery.

Glad in your case you got it resolved :smashin:

21. Tef

Tef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    woah, reading the post really make me worried, but then it seems freemans is being very nice :thumbsup: *waiting for his 42*