Help - New to camcorders


Standard Member

Two questions I need help with.

1. Can I capture video from my camcorder to my PC thru USB or do i need a DV lead to my PC?
2. What software do I need to do this?

Everyone is talking about Firewire which I presume is a faster version of USB.





Established Member
Firewire & USB are not the same thing. USB is OK for transferring stills or webcam use to your PC but for DV capture you need firewire.

As for software, your editing software should do the capturing. If you haven't got any you can get Windows Movie Maker 2 for free from Microsoft's website.


You will need some hardware though if your computer does not already have firewire ports - you will need to instal a firewire card - these cost around £20 complete with cable and can be installed in your PC by even a relative novice in a matter of minutes.

The latest video from AVForums

The BEST TV of 2023? LG G3 MLA OLED Evo TV Review - COMPARED to Samsung S95C & QN95C
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom