Help! New purchase imminent

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by CFC1, Mar 16, 2006.

1. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    :thumbsup: Hi all. First posting and i need help.
    I am finally taking the plunge and upgrading to a larger screen tv. I don't need pc connectivity or freeview as I cant pick anything up where I live. I originally thought about lcd and in particular the 40 inch Sony Bravia and the Samsung M61. Having viewed them next to some plasmas in my local electrical shop, I decided firstly that the screen size was just a little smaller than I wanted and secondly that the nearby plasmas had better, snappier pictures (this could of course have been down to what they were being fed!) I am therefore leaning towards a plasma purchase I think. I have shortlisted the following 3 models: Hitachi 7200, Panasonic PX60 and Pioneer 436fde. I had a good look at the pio today and thought it looked stunning in its simplicity. However, I don't want to be seduced by its good looks and then disappointed by its performance. A local dealer here in N. Ireland will sell it to me for £2100 inc ped stand and speakers. Is this a good deal? I gather I have the choice of either side mounted or bottom mounted speakers?. Isn't it the case that the sidemounters would produce better stereo sound and clearer dynamics than bottom mounted. I would be grateful for any guidance. Should I be considering something else?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    check the plasma FAQ £2100 isnt great for an FDE but isnt horrendous i know people in NI get short changed on electronic goods, What will you be connecting to the system? And what will be your main viewing material and time. (ie Sky in the evenings or DVD's during the day etc)

PS welcome

3. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    Thanks hornydragon. I pretty much just want to use it to watch sky and a few dvds in the evenings like you say. At this stage I cant even see myself hooking up an audio system as it will have to be sited in the corner of the room and wouldnt make the most of surround sound etc.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    In my experience the Pioneers arent the best with sky SD material, DVD via Digital (HDMI) is good......but i think you may be better of looking at a panny (i prefer the panels by far perhaps a PWD8 and Yamaha YSP would suit HD compatible and better sound for less money!

5. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    Thanks again Hornydragon
    I had considered the panasonic px60 briefly, but just love the look of the pio 436. However, after reading postings about the fragility of the 436 screen with regards screen burn and retention, I am really worried. As you may have gathered, I really just want a set that I can turn on and watch like a crt without having to nanny it for 500 hours to run it in etc. If the px60 is going be more robust maybe I should look at it again more seriously.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I couldnt live with the PX60 in my home switched off it looks horredous IMO its got to be a panel for me.....

7. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    I havent been able to see one (PX60) in the flesh yet (electronics seem to take a detour to the third world before coming to N. Ireland). Anyway, have seen brochure images and it definitely does not have the aesthetic visual impact of the pio 436. I have to say the block of silver below the screen doesnt do it for me at all. I was in a Currys in Belfast today and they are selling off their last Panny PV 500s for £1795. The picture looked just as good as the Pio 436 next to it, but I couldnt live with the curved stand. It would probably be foolish to invest that dough into a replaced model anyway, wouldnt it?

8. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Depends how much you can get them to carve off the price!! Do you have to get the cabinet stand?

9. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    I thought the cabinet stand was a fixture with the panny. Is it possible to separate and sit it on top of an alphason or similar instead? If so I can't see Currys of all people splitting the screen and stand anyway. How would they get rid of the stand only? If I could get the PV500 for a decent price without the stand, it would definitely be a goer

10. heath

heath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I live in the Isle of Man, we don't even have a Currys. Why not check prices on the web, pricerunner.co.uk is quite a good comparison site with links. Plenty of retailers sell Panasonics with or without stands (or wall brackets etc.) Some deliver only to UK mainland, however Empire Direct for example will deliver across the water. Avland & Plasma Warehouse also. While these may not be the cheapest web retailers, they'll almost certainly hammer Currys etc in most cases on price.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    CFC1 have you decided on/bought a plasma yet?

12. ace_brodie

ace_brodie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I totally agree, the PX60 looks dated and the matching stand just defeats the purpose of a slimeline plasma.. but one mans meat....

andy

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    which is a pity as the PHD8 is the essence of slimline plasma..........