HELP: New ISP?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by maxcxa, Jan 12, 2008.

1. maxcxa

maxcxa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I am currently on BT Broadband Option 3 (upto 8mb) and desperately need to change. I am currently recieving less than 2meg...I know this beacuse I am not allow BT vision (minimum requirment is 2meg). When I dowload a torrent the top speed it will go is about 250kb/s and that is only rarely at about 2am - 6am. Thereafter the speed drops to around 100kb/s up until about 9am and then proceed to download at around 10kb/s throughout the day until the early hours of the morning again. My browser speeds are also incredibly slow.

I do live a fair distance away from the exchange but I used to recieve much faster speeds.

The only problem is I run a business on my '@btinternet.com' address. Does this go if I change from BT? I have tried to contact them are and no one knows! Also I was thinking of moving to O2 Broadband 20meg. Will I get faster speeds with this or will I get the same less than 2meg because I am the same distance from the exchange as before?

Thanks for your help.

2. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Officially I think you can keep your BT email address if you sign up for a PAYG dial up account & just dial in at least once every 6 months to keep it live (I may be wrong about this, so best to get it confirmed). Unofficially it may continue to work anyway. I moved away from BT about 2 years ago & one of my BT email addresses still works but the other doesn't. You should really consider getting your own domain for email, they can be had for less than £5 per year and you will have the same email address for ever regardless of which ISP you happen to be with.

As for speed, O2 use ADSL2+. You can use your router reported line stats to get a good estimate of likely speeds. See 2nd & 3rd links in my sig or post your stats for some help.

3. sinizterguy

sinizterguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Your distance from the exchange and line quality is what the speed depends on.

Be etc that run on ADSL2+, you might see a slight improvement than normal ADSL or ADSL2.

But you are not going to see some spectacular increase in speed just because the deal you are on says upto 20mb. You will get whatever the highest speeds your line is capable of.