Help. New Cartridge too heavy

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by JohnProton, Sep 3, 2018.

1. JohnProton

JohnProton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    I have recently bought a new cartridge. I bought the Dynavector Karat 17DX Dynavector DV Karat 17DX Moving Coil Cartridge - HiFi Corner instead of the previous Karat 17D3 which was a lot lighter problem is its a lot heavier. it weighs 11g and the previous one was 5.3g main reason is the new one is made of solid brass where the previous one was coated metal and plastic. I bought it for my Clearaudio concept. any ideas what i should do, is there a heavier weight or does anyone know which tonearm I should get for my clearaudio for an 11g cartridge? Any arms that would go on that would be good to go fo that weight, any advice at all. I'm really new with this. Ive had my turntable since 2003 and had three cartridges now but never have I had a cartridge that was too heavy, I know I should have gone for the previous model for the tonearm I have which is the verify arm, the one that comes with the clearaudio by default when you buy it.

2. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it that your arm will not balance with the new heavy cartridge.
    Find a few metal washer with the centre hole the same size as the arm tube (or slightly bigger), slide them in and use carpet tape to stick them to the counter weight, use one at a time until you get your balance.
    To make sure you don't use too many, push the counter weight as far back as it goes.
    It should not affect the sound quality, provided you don't do a wobbly job.
    paint the washers black if you want to.

3. JohnProton

JohnProton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    Thanks. I'd thought about buying another weight from clearaudio to see if that would work but they are quite expensive

4. JohnProton

JohnProton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    Ill try the washer idea. with this counter weight if i push it right to the end its listenable but could be damaging to the stylus and it was expensive and it wont lift up any more.

5. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need a system of setting the tracking force accurately.
    Something like this
    Digital Turntable Stylus Force Scale Gauge High Precise Jewellery M3s0 Z8r9 | eBay
    it is not a guess work, it needs to be measured and set accurately, or you WILL DAMAGE your LP's and your cartridge.
    Stop using the turntable now, until you can set it up right.
    Some dealers will do it correctly for you, for a fee.

6. JohnProton

JohnProton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    I have stopped using it, its scared me to death even playing a record until its set up because this is what I bought Dynavector DV Karat 17DX Moving Coil Cartridge - HiFi Corner it would kill me if I ruined it before I got a chance to hear it properly. I have one of those tracking force gauges thats how I knew it was too heavy even right at the end of the tonearm, but its a manual ortofon one.

ortofon.jpg

7. JohnProton

JohnProton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    the arm does seem to balance to get the arm to 0, but still the weight is too heavy. theres no numbered markings on the clearaudio weight so you have to do this anyway.

8. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that is fine.
    All you have to do, is :
    1- use the counter weight to get the arm balance freely in air away from platter.
    meaning it won't go up or down - just like a scale!
    2- put your gauge on the platter, bring the counterweight forward a little til the head just drops.
    3- put the stylus somewhere just below the 2 gram mark (between 1.5 and 2).
    4- gently bring the counterweight forward in small steps, till the stylus on the gauge just balances halfway on the gauge, like a scale again!
    5- play something music you are familiar with, if the sound is not distorted at louder sections of the music, leave it alone, if it is, gently readjust the counterweight forward in tiny steps to see if it remedies it.

9. JohnProton

JohnProton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,294
  10. JohnProton

JohnProton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    Well I think Ive got it but I guess a digital one would be more accurate like the one you sent me a link for so maybe that might be an idea since they dont cost much. I did have one but I cant find it.

11. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry, what you got is accurate enough, unless you like the gadget!
    besides Dynavector quotes 1.8 to 2 grams - so a 0.1 gram or two, here and there won't matter.
    Thant's why I said listen to some music and prick your ears up for tracking distortion.
    1 gram or 3 gram matters. but 1.5 to 2.3 does not.