1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Network Socket Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by richkeys, Aug 3, 2004.

1. richkeys

richkeys
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear HCPC forum,

can you help me?

i'm in th e process of renovating a friends house a the moment and we want to put a network sockets in 4 rooms, dining room, kitchen, bed 1 and bed 2, these sockets will be connected to cat5e cable and all run to 4 sockets in his lounge where his main pc will be.

Therefore, taking just the kitchen as an example, we will have 1 socket in the kitchen directly wired to a socket in the lounge.

The purpose of these sockets is allow him to have his main pc in the lounge then connect say a laptop or other network device in another room and have them communicate to each other...

PC (in lounge) ---- Network Cable ---- Socket on Wall (lounge) ---- Network cable under floor ---- Socket in Kitchen ---- Network Cable ---- Laptop

1. Do we need to wire these sockets in a particular way, like crossover? or can I can connect them in the same way at each socket?

:thumbsup:

2. richkeys

richkeys
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mr. bump

3. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have I read the time correctly - did you really bump 2 minutes after first posting ?

Yes you do need a crossover between them somewhere in the chain, but I would suggest connecting the fixed wiring straight through and just use a crossover patch cable at one end, (e.g. between the laptop and wall socket).

That way, the fixed wiring could easily be used for something else in future if required (e.g. telephone) .

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    the best approach is to straight wire the sockets, then get a 5 or 8 port port mini-switch and connect all the lounge sockets (and lounge PC) into this..

the switch will only cost you £20 or so...

make sure you wire up the sockets to the correct spec though.. you'll have probs getting 100tx connections if you dont..