1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by plaver, Oct 12, 2003.

1. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Hi People, I am looking into replaceing my current and ageing 33inch CRT TV. I not sure which way to go. I was going to get 42/44inch Plasma without question until someone mentioned 'why don't you look at front projector and since then I've got even more confused. I would apprecaite and comments for or against either set-up. One other thing, what do you projected the picture on to, do you get some sort of screen or do you have to buy the screen seperatly. Any links would also be helpful. I am based in Essex, if you know of any good places to go to get a good demo would also be helpful.

I will be using both set-ups to watch, TV, Video's, DVD's etc other components in current set-up are Sony DVD, Video and AMP attached to KEF Speakers.

2. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is your first post - Welcome!

I was in your shoes about 6 months ago. I now have a complete system. I thought £3,000 should do it. I spent £5,000. Why - because I read this )and other forums) and was persuaded.

I beleive (and so do those who have seen my system) that the sound produced and it's quality is as important as the projector.

So - step 1. Decide if you have a 'good enough' sound system - You WILL need 5:1 at least. - Budget £1,800 for a comlpete system that will stand the test of time.

Step 2 Take Kramers advice - I did.

Step 3. When you get the Lamp Bug - remember you have been warned.

Now that you have all the advice you need start doing some serious reading of this forum. Below are a few Key words that may help you

HS10
    HS20
    DVI
    1:1 mapping
    Digital throughout
    PDI
    SDI
    HS10
    HS10

The rest is easy!

(Sony collect my 95hour HS10 tomorrow. Said they had never heard of the problem. Ebven when I quoted this reference - which asll HS10 owners are advised to see.

http://62.6.248.8/Indexes/pi/EB/Jun_2003/00032331.pdf

You have been warned.

PS

The HS10 is the best projector VFM - but its reliability sucks.

3. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Markatlarks
    My sound system is set-up as 5:1 and is 6:1 compatiable, and this is connected to the latest Kef EGG speakers, the sound system is OK and has set be back about £1500 that does include leads

Thanks for the info,

More comments please............

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    For front projection, you really need good light control, and a room that can accomodate it. My lounge isn't set up in anyway for front projection without swapping everything round and making it look aweful. Fortunately I have a dedicated room.

If you can get it set up so that it's easy to use, then that's half the battle.

You need to sit approximately 2 times screen width away from the projected image, and if you'll already have that with a plasma where your tv used to be, you probably won't gain much, despite the screen size.

Screens can be electric, manual pull-down, or fixed. If a large 7ft wide screen will look out of place, then an electric or pull down one will be less obtrusive. If you're lucky, and your ceiling beams run the right way, you can fit the screen into the ceiling void between beems, and have it drop down when needed.

Some project onto a wall with good results, but a screen will nearly always be better. You can experiment with the wall and different image sizes to see what looks best to you before you buy a dedicated screen.

There are different types of projector - CRT, DLP LCD and DILA for example, each with their own pros and cons, so you really need to see them in action to decide which suits you best.

If you don't mind a visit to Horsham, then I'd reccomend Jeff Paynter of www.projectorsareus.co.uk He gives a great demo, and certainly knows his stuff, so you won't be dissapointed.

HTH

Gary.