1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by red2004devil, Jan 28, 2005.

1. red2004devil

red2004devil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. I purchased a kodak cx7310 camera and printer dock the the 18/07/2004!
    It packed up on the 25/12/2004 took it in to CURRYS on the 26/12/2004 where i brought it from and they said it would took 4-7 working days to fix.
    On the 22/01/2005 we went it to see what happened and they could not find out till monday. So i had a phone call monday to say it was faulty but you would have to wait till friday 28/01/2005 because they had to get one from another shop. So went in today and they got my replacement but the box had been opened.

I have just been told be some1 who works for a retail shop that i can have a full refund???? They said it is the sales of goods act 1972.

Is this person right? :censored:

What do i do next?

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The Sales of Goods Act is unfortuantly not as clear cut as that. Effectively the act makes the retailer in breach of contract if they sell goods which "dont match their description", "arent of 'satisfactory' quality" or aren't "fit for purpose".

Effectively the retailer must ensure that you are not financial disadvantaged due to their breach - this can be done by repairing the item, replacing it, reducing the sale price (and giving a partial refund) or giving a full refund. To the best of my knowledge there is no strict guidelines which of these they must follow though I am sure that in some cases where things progress to court that the judge may be sympathetic to the claimants requests if there has been a significant problem. Also note that a credit note is not legal tender and therefore you cannot be 'forced' into accepting this.

As the item is less than 12 months old you have the choice of 2 - either you can continue to pursue Currys for what you want or alternatively you could have the faulty unit returned to you and deal directly with Kodak under the 12 months manufactures warrenty - of cause if you do the second you will almost certainly either get a repair or reconditioned item which would put you in a similar possition as you are in now.

As someone who worked in the service sector for far too long a polite but strong letter of complaint to the CEO office of the retailer is something that does generally work - you will rarely get a reply from the CEO themselves but it does get prioritised and generally a more favourable outcome (my sofa was delivered within 4 days of writting compaired to the 8-10 weeks the store managers was saying the day I wrote)

If you want more professional advise on your rights then give your local Citizens Advice Buearau a call