1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed! - Xmas present & I haven't a clue

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by PeterR, Dec 11, 2002.

1. PeterR

PeterR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I wonder if any of you can help me out with some suggestions. I've got to buy my 13yr old son a PC game for Xmas & to be honest haven't got a clue what to get.

He has a slightly dated PC - 700Mhz, 32 Mb Graphics card, 128 RAM & 128k ISDN connection. He currently enjoys playing Age of Empires II (online), The Sims, Unreal Tournament & Delta Force (online).

I thought I had the ideal game for him with BF1942 but having looked at the min spec required I'm not sure if the PC is fast enough for it as it says 800 Mhz. Shame as he would have loved it..

Sorry to be so vague here & I know the choice is endless but any suggestions would be great.

Peter

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    For solid multiplay/single play games you could look at :-

Diablo 2 - A little old looking but looks good enough. I would recommend Dungeon Seige but I think you would run into trouble with the graphics. This is also an RPG game.

Homeworld/Homeworld Cataclysm - Classic space strategy game, still looks amazing. Will run fine on your PC, may require some tweaking.

Aliens Vs Predator 2 - This is a great shooting game, should be able to get decent performance on your PC.

Half-Life/Counter-Strike - If you son hasn't played this, get it!!!! The ultimate in online shooting games and will run great on your PC. You never know if you start him now then he could end up a pro and earn lots of money on the CS circuit :p

Single player only

Divine Divinity - (Single player only) A new RPG a cross between baldurs gate and diablo 2, well within your specs.

Civilization 3 (Single player only) - This is the ultimate in strategy games, I played the originals when I was the same age, never forget the days I spent building empires :) Will run smooth on your PC.

With the exception of Divine Divinity you could most probably pick up most of these games for less than a tenner each.

3. PeterR

PeterR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Sinzer - thats given me something to look at - particulary like the sound of Half Life & Civilisation 3 so off to read some reviews.
    I have also been looking at Age of Mythology but thought it looked very similar to Age of Empires II so wondered if it was worth considering

Thanks again for the suggestions
    Peter

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I was going to suggest Age of Mythology, but I suspect that your PC will really not be able to handle it adequately. It would most likely be ok for the first couple of levels, then once things got hectic it would grind to a halt. :(

Next Christmas, you may be looking at some expensive upgrades!

You could most probably get half life and Civ 3 for about 15 total.... both games are well worth it and will likely keep your son busy till next xmas :)

5. PeterR

PeterR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sinzer

Any ideas on websites where I can get some online prices for Half Life/Counter Strike as every site I have looked at so far is only showing the new version that is due out next year?

Peter

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
  7. PeterR

PeterR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinzer - thanks very much for doing that.

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    No problemos, makes a nice change from which console to buy :)

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    I too have Diablo 2 and the expansion pack which will run nicely on your computer and is one of my most played games.

I have just got Morrowind (see my other post on this, and single player) which is stunning graphically but needs a decent graphic card.

If you want some good budget single player games Deus Ex is an absolute cracker and sorry to mention again is Thief (which will run OK on a older machine) they are both 15 though.

10. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Some of the older games I have loved include;

Battlezone 2 (cross between red alert and a FPS). Drive many vehicles, build a base, very easy to play and great fun with throttle and joystick - Wont run on XP (and prossibly not on Win2K). Superb game and one of my all time faves, very under rated though.

Unreal, Single player version of Tournament with a great story.

Dues Ex (not sure of min specs). First person shooter with a great story and graphics.

Sudden Strike WWII tactical game with many different units, quite hard tough. Great music.

The Quake series.

I will look for more when I get home as I have a few good games that I loved but can not play anymore as they will not run on XP.

I would also recomment Operation Flashpoint but am not sure of the specs required. You can get it in the Game of the Year bundle with all the addons now for a reasonable price. It also has multiplayer and a very easy editor to create your own missions.

Halflife as previously mentioned is also a sure winner. Massive online community for it.

Cheers
    RB

11. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the threat of piling on more information, I still prefer "Alpha Centauri" to Civ 3. Plus, it's an older title, so you can get it cheap. Same can be said for Civ 2. (IMO)

I will echo the remarks about Half-life, though. Must have.

12. PeterR

PeterR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies - I have just ordered Half life Generations as I know he loves online gaming & although it has been out for a while now it should be just right for him.

I knew this was a tough question to ask as there are so many games & of course everyone has different likes so thanks for the views & suggestions.

Next question - Am I ever going to be able to get onto my PC again once he has got the game? :D

Regards
    Peter

13. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Not a chance.....

But atleast it will keep him quiet and out of your hair for a while :D .

Cheers
    RB

14. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Hehe, I will give you some server IPs when you get it, then at least I can show him the ropes by head shooting him every round :)

Ahhhh, counterstrike cannon fodder, every players dream :)

15. Nitro

Nitro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warcraft 3- A Stategy game, Have a great single player missions, and multiplayer online is great.
    You can go to gamespot.com, those people for every game that cames out they make a complete review, those people know what is a good games and who is not. ;)