1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help needed with yamaha HTR-5540RDS surround not working.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Avguy-ah1, Aug 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Avguy-ah1

Avguy-ah1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

New to forums, hoping you guys can help me.

I have a Yamaha HTR-5540RDS surround amplifier with the supplied subwoofer/speakers, hooked up to a DVD player and sky +, and a 52 inch Toshiba projection TV. Surround has been working fine for a year or so, but about 4 months ago, the back speakers just stopped working, I have been trying everything to fix them, I’m 99% sure its something I’m doing wrong rather than a fault, I rewired everything, checked cables, adjusted options, but all I get is the front three speakers.

It’s connected using optical, and all the speakers are connected direct from the subwoofer, fed into the subwooder from the amp, and then fed out to the speakers. i also tried connecting it direct to the amp, but that failed aswell – it may be something as simple as an option in the menu, but having lost the manual, I don’t know what to do.

So I thought I would ask for help, if anyone could tell me how it should be wired, ie direct to the speakers, or through the subwoofer, or any ideas of what I could change to fix it I would be very great full, as I said I have been trying to fix this for months, asking you guys is my last hope:).

Thanks.

2. Avguy-ah1

Avguy-ah1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add, anyone know if you need any delay for an average living room, about 20x15.

Also is there a factory restore option on this model? since i have messed so many options up trying to fix it:).

Thanks again.

3. Avguy-ah1

Avguy-ah1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can no one help?:)

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There's a few reasons why you might be getting this:

• Your Sky+ box is set to output MONO sound
    • You have the levels turned down on the rear speakers
    • You have rear speakers set to "NONE" in the setup menu

See pages 49, 45 and 26 - 33 of the manual.

If you've lost the manual, you can download one here

You'll need to experiment with the delay setting for the best results.

5. Avguy-ah1

Avguy-ah1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha, works now, it was set to non, thanks.

It seems weird the way its connected, but it seems its the only way it can be done, rear speakers are direct from amp to speaker, fromt two wired through subwoofer.

Slight problem still - cant get up the delay timings for anything other than center, and other thing is, when i disable center speaker, or set it to "non" it still works, but also seems to sound better with all the front three putting out speech, seems like theres just not enough power in the center speaker, i'm wondering if by disabling the center i'm losing any channels?.

the speakers are the ones that come with the system.

thanks if anyone can help with this.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, I've not actually seen your amp, just studied the online manual, but I don't see in the manual where it says anything about the speakers being wired through the sub-woofer. In most Yamaha setups the sub-woofer is optional anyway.

I think this is connected with the way you have your speakers wired.

7. Avguy-ah1

Avguy-ah1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help.

If anyone could confirm if I’m doing this right or not...

The subwoofer has four lots of inputs, two lots says from amplifier, and two says to speakers, r/l. and there’s no other connection for the subwoofer, so I assume this must be the right way. The sound is pretty good at the moment, just so many options though hard to get everything perfect without being an expert. c/t spread, delays, tone control, speaker setting for large/small/non.

Also the centre speaker is louder than all others in test, I don’t know if this is standard. If anyone has this system and could tell me their optimal settings it might give me a clue. – either way thanks for helps, I got surround now which I havn’t had for months.

8. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Start again and wire your speakers from the amp, then plug the sub in the sub out jack last..

Running speakers via the sub speaker terminals makes no sense when your amp can do it.

I can see no reason, unless your amps faulty or you have the main speakers switched out, why this won't work. Almost all SS amps work this way.

9. Avguy-ah1

Avguy-ah1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

The sub only has the inputs for speakers, so theres no sub in socket on there, theres two inputs that say mono l/r, but i assume that cant be right.

Strange, only problem is the audio can sometimes be hard to make out, usually ok though - they are the standard yamaha speakers that came with the amp i think.

Maybe i need a new speaker set to go with the amp, one with a better centre speaker.

10. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Only connect the sub from the amps sub-out terminal to the line in on the sub.

Don't plug any other speaker in the sub anywhere, in or out.

Just have the subs line-in (RCA socket) and the mains.

All the other speakers go from the Yamaha. Not to the sub then out again.

Please don't tell me this is a wind up.

11. Avguy-ah1

Avguy-ah1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks, no wind up, but i think this must be made to go direct into amp.

there is no sub in, only two wire cable inputs for left right speakers on the sub, two saying from amplifier, and two saying to speakers, the ONLY other connections are two mono inputs that state "mono L/R."

I assume these must be special speakers and a special sub of some sort, as theres no other option with this... rears and center speakers are linked to the amp and front left/right linked to sub. - i may be doing something wrong, but i honestly cant see any other option in regards to how the subs connected, theres just no sub in socket for the subwoofer.

Everything seems to be working fine, main problem is i cant find the right sound mode, i.e matrix 6.1, 5.1, normal or enhanced, movie mode, adventure, or scifi, or spectacle, or standard, so many options and i cant find out what sounds best. - so if anyone knows the best option.

Thanks for all the help, i may well be doing something wrong, but there appears to be no other option on the sub.

Thanks again.

12. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    The left/right mono on the sub could be because most subs have a l/r input (you need a female-2 x male splitter to connect both, but it isn't essential) because most amps only have a combined single mono feed out.

Is the sub active (built in amp) or passive (no amp and i assume no mains)

If there are no RCA phono jacks for input on your sub i think you should consider another sub.

13. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Just a few questions because after reading the manual again your amp should be connected up the same as all other A/V amps, if it can't be you have been sold the wrong speakers.

Did you get the speakers as a sub/sat AV package?

It's not a computer speaker system is it?

Does the sub or sat speakers have a number on them so I might be able to track them down for information.

Is your Yamaha the same as in the Nick_UK link? Does yours look the same at the back?

Are the two mono inputs on the sub RAC phono connectors?

Can you try not using the sub at all. Unplug it and wire all the speakers, not the sub, to the amp and see if everything else works.

There is a simple answer to this because there is no reason why your amp is any different to any other. Except, of course, that it hasn't developed, or always had, a fault.

14. Avguy-ah1

Avguy-ah1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

the speakers came with the set and are yamaha.

the centre speaker is labled as: "nx-c220"
    and the subwoofer "sw-p201"

cant seem to find any pictures.

Thanks again for help, sound is OK, problem may just be low quality centre speaker, not sure.

15. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    i found some links but none are in English, no manuals, and no close-up pics of the terminals, so I don't really know what else to say.

Sorry

Ido.