1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with TV & DVD setup

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hi_robb, Jun 15, 2003.

1. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,

I have a Sony KD32NX200 and recently bought a Sony DAV-S550 DVD system on the cheap, however I'm a bit confused on how I should connect the DVD to the TV.

The DAV-S550 has the following outputs on the back

Composite
    Svideo
    Component.

The Tv has the following inputs.

3 X Scart (2 are RGB and 1 is Euro or Svideo)
    1 x Svideo (on the front)

At the mo I'm using Svideo to conenct the DVD to the TV and the picture is ok. However, I have read that the Svideo out on the DVD isn't the best quality sony have ever done and that the picture is improved quite a bit by using the component out.

Now the component out on the DVD uses 3 phono type cables all of which are video. However my TV doens't have component inputs on the back. However, the component outputs on the DVD player are labeled RGB, and I know my Tv can accept RGB via scart.

If I bought a Component to Scart cable, would this work and would I get a picture? I'm very confused as some sites say component is RGB some say tis another better form of Svideo.

I don't really want to waste 50 quid or whatever on a cable to find it won't work.

Help please guys / girls.

Davey

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    No you component input is a different format from RGB. For more detail look at the "sticky" thread at the top of the DVD players forum.

Your only options are to use SVideo or to get a component to RGB converter. This will do what you are needing ... but costs £90 and I've no idea if the quality will be improved over the SVideo connection.

Vikki