1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with transfer from Hi-8 to digital

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by wingatewood, Jan 13, 2005.

1. wingatewood

wingatewood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

This is my first posting so please be patient with me! I am trying to convert about 18 hours of HI-8 tapes to digital and then burn to dvd's.

I have recently purchased a Sony Laptop, Sony DCR-HC30 and a 160GB external hard drive to achieve this. At this stage all I need to do is transfer the footage and burn to dvd, I do not want to mess around with any editing at all.

So far I have managed to capture footage onto the laptop by 'Passing through' the new Sony camcorder (via firewire) resulting in an .avi digital file.

This is where I am having difficulties and I really hope someone can point me in the right direction please.

What do I need to do now to burn this footage to dvd in the best possible quality without it taking hours to do? Is this possible?

I have tried exporting the file as an .avi to the hard disc but 45mins of captured video would take about 3 hours to save to disc.

I have also tried to burn the same 45mins of footage directly in U-lead Studio 8 (trial version) but again it seems as though it is going to take about 3hours to burn. Is this right?

Could somebody kindly tell me where I am going wrong, and the quickest and simplist way of doing this please.

The programs I have are: Windows MovieMaker, U-lead Studio, Adobe Premiere (free version) and Nero 6 for burning.

Any help greatly received!!!

Thanks to all and a great forum. :)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The only way to create a DVD is to convert the AVI file to MPEG-2 in a DVD authoring program. This does take a long time and the only way to speed things up is to upgrade the amount of RAM in the laptop.

Other than that it is a matter of finding something worth while to do, like going down the pub for a beer or 2 while the files get converted :D

Mark.