1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with Toshiba XS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by OrbitUK, Dec 4, 2004.

1. OrbitUK

OrbitUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just set up my Toshiba XS32, what a wonderful piece of kit. Got a couple of niggles I cant figure out though, perhaps someone can help with. My set up is :-

Panasonic satellite TV Scart -> Tosh AV2
    Tosh AV1 -> Bush TV
    Tosh RF/Out -> Bush TV
    Tosh RF/in -> External aerial
    I have attached an external aerial to the Panasonic RF in as well.

My Bush TV is an old freeview IDTV (6990 I think). I have disabled the onboard digi box as it was hogging the RGB scart, so the Tosh is connected to the RGB scart on this TV. The composite scart is not being used.

Problems I have :-

1) I cannot watch terrestrial TV when recording a Sky channel and vise versa. The manual states I can press the TV/DVR button but nothing happens at all. Im sure I have missed something obvious or it could be my connections or crappy bush telly not helping out.

2) I have also noticed that after using timeslip (i.e pressing timeslip to turn it off) after recording a sky channel, the Tosh automatically switches back to the internal tuner and I have to press Sat.Cont button to return to watching Sky. Is this normal?

3) Also can someone explain the difference between the uses of the Sat.Cont and Sat.Moni buttons.. I can see what the Sat.Cont button does but havent found a use for the Sat.Moni.

Thanks!

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I'm just figuring my XS32 out, so I can only answer your 3rd question: Sat Moni allows your input on AV2 (your Sky) to pass through when the XS32 is off (in Standby).

Mark

3. OrbitUK

OrbitUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the sat.moni tip. Can anyone else help on my other issues?

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    On question 1, it sounds like the Bush was designed to switch to the internal digibox whenever that was powered up, with no way of overriding it to watch analogue tv. Now the same thing is happening when the DVD recorder is active. I believe pin 8 of the scart is used for this, however it would need to be switched out (with a scart switch box?) when required as cutting it permanently would cause RGB and 16:9 switching problems.

To watch Sky when recording analogue on the DVD recorder, you could connect Sky VCR scart to the Bush composite scart.

5. OrbitUK

OrbitUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the Bush was designed this way. The only way to watch analogue was to use the 'av' button to switch the TV to 'Standard'. The Bush had a 'special' scart cable connecting the digibox to the internal RGB scart, I have had to keep this cable routed through a scart switcher box so that all my connecting devices are in RGB mode. They obviously had their own pinouts for this scart. Also when I tried to connect the digibox to the composite scart i got a picture but could not change the channel. Seems all IR input is automatically routed to the RGB scart. This is why I gave up on having the digi box connected at all.

The other problem it seems is that due to the way the RGB scart is being used the Sky digibox seems to 'hog' all other AV and standard ports on the TV, so using the 'mode' button to change AV's I just get a rolling picture of whats being transmitted on Sky. If I turn the Sky box off I then just get the usual 'nothings connected' black screen.

6. OrbitUK

OrbitUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talking alot on my own thread. Just found out I may as well attach a scart cable from the Bush internal digibox to the scart switcher so I can then watch freeeview while recording sky or terrestrial. Doh. It should work as the RGB cable is involved which seems to be the special thing here!

7. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Help !
    connected my XS32 and am getting a black screen with sound when I try to watch cable through my XS32 , all connections are as to setup instructions as are menu settings , I know somthing is not selected right, any ideas ?
    FRs

8. linkster

linkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    try the TV/DVR button.

Oh, and if anyone can help with my aspect ratio question in the other thread I'd appreciate it ;)

9. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I'm getting sound with real bad picture, I've had enough of this will RGB take this machine back, I've had enough :suicide: should my av1 and av2 be set to RGB ?

10. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds like you could have a dodgy scart lead, either that or your machine has problems.
    Make sure if you set it to RGB you have a proper lead, ie with all the wires connected (so its quite thick) or else you won't get a picture.

It also depends on what the TV can handle..

11. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You were 100% right , bad scart lead, changed scart round and got things working :smoke: , now I have ghosting moving from right to left across the screen, real slow movment, like an emboss of the lines of the picture on screen, guess I need new scart leads, I have no doubt this is a good machine, but it's not the easiest machine to get your head round, I think I would be willing to sacrafice some features for ease of use , deep interface, I find Photoshop more intuitive :laugh:

12. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unplug the RF lead from your recorder first. It sounds to me like RF interference

13. OrbitUK

OrbitUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could invest in a more expensive scart cable with a bit of extra shielding? From reading around I hear these cheap and nasty scart cables are more prone to noise. Hence the inteference you are getting.

14. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

:thumbsup: At last :clap: all working fine , picture as clear as a bell,

Done three things to get rid of interference ghosting,
    1, bought a set of gold smart leads TKVISION.COM
    2,Remove my UV Ariel, this helped a lot
    3,My digital phones mains adaptor shared a socket with T.V. and Cable, removed this to far side of room,

I all so have a cordless network in the room above T.V. (Lynsky) turned this of, to check if it was contributing to the interference, glad to say it wasn’t, but worth checking,

Thanks to all for your help on this, now I’ll go and master the RD-XS32
    :smashin:

15. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On the Tosh sx32 if I record a prog with adverts, and give the adverts a chaprter, how do I delete the adverts before burning to a dvd r, I have tried everything without sucsess, can someone help me with this please :lease:

16. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In the Edit menu, create a playlist that excludes the adverts then either use "Dub Selected Items", if you want to create a another recording of the prog. without the adverts onto the HD or DVD (after this you can then delete the original recording and the playlist), or if the fileseize is shown to be too large to fit on a DVD after you have created the playlist, use "Rate Conv. Items" to resize it to fit on a DVD and copy straight to DVD, then finalize it.

17. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :smashin: Thanks I just couldn't figure it out , the instructions aren't clear to me,

18. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    What I've done is:

- Use the divide function to split the original programme up - so you have for example chapter 1 is pre-show advert, chapter 2 is programme part 1, chapter 3 is adverts, chapter 4 is programme part 2, and chapter 5 is adverts and junk at end of the programme.

- Then create a play list (see page 95 of the manual) - create a playlist which includes just chapters 2 and 4 (from my example) from the original.

Mark