1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with Thomson VDM5 Digtial Video Camera Please

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by RUBYDUNN, Dec 15, 2004.

1. RUBYDUNN

RUBYDUNN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have lost the disc to load the program for me to use my video camera onto my computer. Can anyone help me. Keep it simple as I am total beginner.Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    OK, it all depends on what you want to do on the PC. If you want to get still photos onto it then the software provided is going to do this, but if you want to get the video onto the PC to edit then the supplied software is unlikely to do this and you would need to buy something else to do it.
    Many digital camcorders are supplied with a USB port & cable. This is also no good for transfering video to the PC. To do that you need to use firewire (aka iLink, ieee1394 or DV port). If you don't have firewire on the PC then you can add the port on a PCI card for about £10 and this should also include the cable to make the connection.
    If you have Windows XP then you also have a good editing package called Movie Maker. Make sure you have all the XP updates and this will also upgrade to MM2. This is a good program that is fairly simple to use and a good place to learn it is www.papajohn.org

So basically you don't need the suppluied software, but if you still want it then I'm sure somebody on here will have it and can make a copy or tell you where to download it etc.

Mark.

3. RUBYDUNN

RUBYDUNN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your quick response, I have upgraded MM2 on my Windows XP
    but the cable that was supplied with the camera has a serial port com1 connecter and when I have tried to start, a box pops up to say the camera not regonnised. I went to Thomson website to see if I could download but had no joy. Would I be able to buy a cable that would use the ieee1394 port and fit to the camera as well? kind regards.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Well it sounds like the supplied cable is an old serial cable. This will not be any good for captureing video to the PC.

If all you need is the firewire cable then you can get one from Here for less than £5
    If your PC does not have a firewire port then you can add it with a card like This for about £11

Hope this helps,
    Mark.