1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with speaker install

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Noel, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice. In order to gain the required WAF, I had to build most of my system into a cabinet. This is fine for amps, video, DVD, TV, etc., but my speakers are also built into the cabinet.<br />The material is contiboard, the speakers are Linn Keosa (front), Centirk (centre) and Kan (rears).<br />I did not put a back on the speaker sections of the cabinet and I made some grilles using acoustic speaker cloth for the fronts.<br />Thus I effectively have a speaker within an open box. From an aesthetic point of view it looks good and sounds fine, but I can't help thinking I could do more to improve it, for example put a back on the speaker cabinet sections, or fill the surrounding space with wadding, or both.<br />However, I don't want to start down this path if :

a) There is something else I could do.<br />b) It won't work anyway.

I realise this is a bit of an odd query, and maybe it should be posted in the DIY forum, but any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,

Noel

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The wadding around the speakers should be fine since the fronts are all sealed speakers anyway.

A back should not make much difference, try one of them and see what you think. But remmeber the centre will sound different to the fronts with a board behind than the fronts would with boards.

Try it and see, or hear...

3. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Richard, I tried some wadding around the speakers (within the cabinet) and it seem to have worked quite well, sharpening up the sound significantly.

Cheers,

Noel

4. chrisredding

chrisredding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldn't put backs on the speaker sections, especially if your speakers have rear ports (sorry i dont know whether yours have) cos they'll sound terrible. speakers need lots of movable air front and back... dont restrict them...

django