Question Help needed with setting up iPhone - dubious about advice elderly parents are receiving

linkster

Sorry folk, I've used iPhones for years and bought them for my extended family

I recently bought one from the forum for my mum, same model as my dad's, which they called Apple Support to help them get set up (transferring SIM, Apple ID)

In the process of doing so, the Apple ID ended up with a primary number being assigned which they do not recognise (neither does the seller)

Anyway, I corrected that for them and they now have landline for validating the two factor codes

The problem is this - my dad pays a TESCO mobile subscription, and the phone connected to their network as indicated by the message in signal

I have added the number my mum was using with her SIM (of five years) to the Apple ID

In doing so, it sends a text to that number, which never arrives on the device

I tried to get them to put SIM back in old phone but they've managed to break the mount so can't do that

They cannot make calls, if they try they get an automated message from TESCO saying they need to buy credits

However, my dad pays the bill on DD and they called them this morning, confirmed the account is active, and got her to dial voicemail to prove ... something?

They've now charged them to send out a NEW SIM ... which I cannot see justification for, if existing works well enough to get to voicemail?

In summary

- Why would an apparently Active sim (unless it's been specifically disabled remotely somehow?) not provide the number directly to the phone it's installed in?

Any insight? Really puzzled

Steven

Senior Moderator
This can happen with number porting, need to update settings

See

linkster

@Steven thanks, but I am not sure... my dad reported he had deleted the mystery number and it kept reappearing, that prompted me to investigate iCloud, and is how I ensured they can at least verify codes via land line

The bigger problem is you cannot call to, or from, the phone, so I think it is more fundamental than settings?

brand new apple id - never had an iPhone before - but same sim and number for past five years

Dave X

If the phone can’t make/recieve calls have you checked it’s blacklist status?

You can buy a Checkmend report for a couple of £’s on eBay.

Ignore, you can make calls but are receiving a Tesco message, so the call is getting as far as Tesco.

My suggestion would be to do a full reset of the iPhone with the sim inserted and let everything reactivate.

linkster

If the phone can’t make/recieve calls have you checked it’s blacklist status?

You can buy a Checkmend report for a couple of £’s on eBay.

Ignore, you can make calls but are receiving a Tesco message, so the call is getting as far as Tesco.

My suggestion would be to do a full reset of the iPhone with the sim inserted and let everything reactivate.
Yeah, when the new dim arrives if it does not just work (!) then plan on doing so

linkster

So, quick update ....

The new SIM has arrived from Tesco. The instructions said to perform a 'SIM Swap' using the old SIM first. When doing so, as expected, it said the number she was calling from was the 'mystery' number (see comment above), not her long-held number

I asked Tesco via online chat what to do and they said go to the new SIM instead, dial 4444 and note the number it says it is calling from

This test resulted in yet another new number, so now there are three on the go -

• The one my mum has had for five years, which she still wants to use
  • Mystery number 1 which she has only seen since putting her old sim in new phone
  • Mystery number 2 which has been introduced since the new sim arrived

One advantage I guess is she can now finally call out from her new phone using the new sim - but she can't receive calls. Also the outgoing calls come from mystery number 2

This is all rather puzzling to me - I know sim cards come with allocated numbers until the preferred number can be transferred across, but I don't know why my mum's existing number has seemingly vanished from the 'old' sim simply by putting it in another phone

I've told her to restart it and she is calling Tesco again this morning but I have genuinely not experienced anything like this with other providers

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom