• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

help needed with samsung surround sound system

JoRowley88

Novice Member
hi i am new to this website and am in need of some help with a new tv i bought.

i had a samsung 32" lcd tv which i used my samsung subwoofer speaker system to (surround sound) model no: rts-he10. i plugged this into my tv from the speaker using red and white audio cables and i could listen to sky and my ps3 through the speakers. plugs in the speaker in aux to and then the red and white into back of tv. there is a hdmi socket which im running to the old and am doing now to the new tv and the speaker has a built in dvd player. the samsung surround system doesnt have a optical cable option so i cant run one.

i ve now bought a 40" samsung led full hd smart tv and when setting up i took the red and white audio cables out of the old tv and placed them in the new tv, unfortunately i cant get any sound from my speakers now which i cant understand why? i know my speakers work as i tried the audio cables in the back of the sky box and this works. how can i get my speakers to work in the tv?

also i know some people will say you ve got your surround sound working through sky what else do i need, my partner has a ps3 and likes to use surround sound when watching a film via blu ray and on the old tv we could do this so how can we get it to work and for the surround sound to be linked to the tv,sky and ps3?

i hope someone can help us as its driving us crazy

thank u xxx

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Firstly, is it definitely an Audio Output that you are connecting to on the TV? It could be an audio input. These are usually adjacent to video connections such as VGA/PC or component video (green/blue/red).

If the TV does not have analogue audio outputs, there are some options available:

1. Buy a Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC). You would connect the TV's optical output to the DAC and run an analogue phono cable from there to the Aux input on the home cinema.

2. Try SCART. The TV might be able to output TV Audio via SCART. To achieve this you would need to buy a switchable SCART adapter and set it to out. The adapater would connect to your phono cable and you would connect that to the Aux input on the home cinema.

3. Buy a new audio setup that has sufficient inputs for all your sources i.e. sky (optical), TV (optical), PS3 (HDMI). To enjoy HD audio from bluray, a system capable of processing audio over HDMI is required.

JoRowley88

Novice Member
thankyou for replying.

the audio sockets on the back of tv just say audio doesnt say whether its input or output.
going with your first option will this definitely work and will it enable my sky and ps3 to run through surround sound?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Yes but you have to ask yourself if it's worth investing money in old kit? A cheap DAC will set you back about £30. Personally I would upgrade and then you will get proper surround sound. Routing the audio via the tv will not be.

JoRowley88

Novice Member
how much difference do u think the quality would be? your still wiring to the tv like we did with our old one but using part optical cable part audio cable?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom