1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with Rave TV card Re: sound

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by terrythecat, Dec 14, 2002.

1. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys

I have just installed the Pinnacle Rave TV card ( PCI ) but cannot get any sound. My son and I have clicked merrily away at numerous options to no avail. I have the M-audio 24/96 soundcard installed. Is the sound connected between the two cards internally on the MoBo or externally with cable. We have tried both. I have to say the picture doesn't look that great at the moment, via Barco 808/ 7ft screen, but I'm not going to mess about with Dscaler until the sound is sorted out. I think I've made a booboo buying the Rave - silly me thought It was digital. I've obviously misread past recommendations and now realise that you guys are supplying a signal to the Rave via some sort of digibox which I don't use. I may ditch the Rave in the new year and start again but if anyone can help with the sound for now I'd be most grateful.

Cheers

Terry

2. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you set the volume for the input you're using on the sound card? They are often muted by default.

3. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The pinnicle gives pretty good results using DScaler. As feet14 says, check your m-audio control panel, the wave volme will be off.

Ken

4. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Feet14, Ken

Thanks for getting back. I have been trying to sort things out since returning from shopping but no luck. I have gone into the M-audio control panel and first selected the 'Monitor mixer' tab, disabled/enabled every 'mute' box and lifted/lowered every fader on the Master volume and all the mixer inputs. On the Patchbay/router page I have Wavout 1/2 and Wavout S/PDIF enabled. I have clicked on all the others but no change. Am I overlooking something?

Terry

PS I assume I shouldn't have any external cables connected.

5. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will need to connect one audio cable, whether that be internal or external. The sound won't be transmitted along the PCI bus (same as all other tv cards I've come across, although I'd like to know if anyone has found one that can).

If there is a connector on the board like the audio connector on a cd-rom drive, then use a cd audio cable to connect this to the sound card. If not, connect the line out on the tv card to the line in on the soundcard (a short 3.5mm-3.5mm cable should be supplied, if not maplins etc should be able to supply one).

6. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The audio out socket on the rave needs to be connected directly to an amp or to the input socket of your sound card.

As well as that make sure you set the Rave card to Pal I, rather than pal. If set to pal all you get is white noise.

7. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the tips Thrash....we now have sound, but every time a change is made ie. channel number, the sound reverts to white noise and we have to go back and select a different video system and back to PAL 1 EVERY TIME....any ideas. We have also played with Dscaler - clear as mud.

8. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange that it reverts back to PAL, set to PAL I then do a full scan of channels and see if that corrects the problem.

9. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried a number of TV cards and have had no end of problems (I even managed to purchase one which did not have PAL-I so got no sound).

I am currently using a Hauppauge card (PVR2500) and I am not using any connectors for audio connection and am getting excellent sound via a Terratec soundcard ... but I must admit that all others that I have tried do need to be connected as you described.

10. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep! thats done the trick Thrash. We re-tuned the Rave last night and had a look at Dscaler but haven't had much luck with that yet. Are you supposed to be able to tune in stations through Dscaler and watch the programs in Dscaler's window?

Infomatique...is the picture with the digital Hauppauge that much better than the Rave and do you still need to use Dscaler?

Cheers both

Terry

11. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dscaler/Rave combination is excellent and it is difficult to improve on this. The Hauppauge is as good but I would not recommend changing unless you have a specific reason.