1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with plugs for my speaker cable.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Duster, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    can you help me please, as I'm a little confused about plugs for speaker cable.

I'm looking for the best possible sound. and I understand that if I use 4mm banana plugs, that will improve my sound.

Firstly I'm using bare wire ends at the moment, on both sides of the cable. I'm using QED X-Tube 300 with my B&W 603's s3 speakers, and my Amp is a Yamaha RX-V640RDS.

I'm looking to buy some QED X-Tube 400 with 4mm Banana plugs, will this improve the sound?

I know my speakers will work with a 4mm Banana plugs, but I'm not sure about my Amp, as it says in the manual " you can use banana plug connectors, with the exception of UK & Europe models".
    I've looked at the speaker terminals at the back of the Amp, I can see small holes in the middle of the terminal, but I'm not sure if they are large enough to fit a 4mm plug.

Thanks for any help. :lease:

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    you should be able to pick the centre out of the posts on the amp to reveal a 4mm hole :smashin:

whether or not they will actually improve the sound is a matter of opinion , most people seem to point to it been more user friendly , rather than sonic improvement ;)

all the best
    john :D

3. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

Thanks for the quick & good advise :thumbsup:

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it also makes a more uniform contact and using qed's airloc system (dealer fitted) makes the join a good connection and can help a great deal with connection!

5. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

How would you recommend I do this?
    At the moment, there is a 2mm to 3mm size hole in the posts

Thanks.

6. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    you may be ale to fit a 4mm banana plug vertically into the hole in the terminal (as you would a bare wire), then just screw down the end on the binding post to secure it.

7. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Thanks for reply,
    I may have to do this, but wont the connection be very good?

8. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    The following could be fiction (or a cheese dream) or just may be the truth....

As far as I remember, in the mid 90's there was a story that someone in Europe put a 4mm banana plug into a live wall socket (unshuttered continental type) and got either killed or badly hurt.

The result was not a ban on 4mm unshuttered live mains sockets, but on hi-fi banana plugs !! (even though paperclips, nails etc can be forced into them).

A number if companies manufactured hi-fi with an alternative to 4mm binding posts (I think Cyrus did a 3mm plug or something like that), meaning you had to buy a special type of plug if you didn't want bare wires. Others just put a plastic plug in the end of the 4mm binding post, preventing its use unless you really want to (probably some legal thing) - ie you remove the plug and presto... a 4mm hole.

My audiolab amp doesn't have a 4mm hole in the end of the binding post (well I've not found one), but they drilled the vertical hole for the wire large enough for a 4mm banana ! which is what I use.
    Just make sure that there is not too much strain on the binding post (support the cable) and that the wire is well connected to the plug. It also depends on the layout and positioning of the terminals.

Or you could just use spades.
    I'm assuming your amp has the screw down type of binding post rather than spring clips.

9. lardy

lardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure if your Yamaha will take bananas as the terminal design on uk models is clearly different to the chinese/asian ones. If they are the same as mine (DSPAX620) then it seems that you can only use bare wire twisted together (- if you find out otherwise then please let us know). These binding posts won't take spades either as they have a guide protecting your loose strands from coming out.
    You might consider soldering the bare ends with silver solder to reduce corrosion - or get the brasso out every so often.
    I was rather disappointed with the design of the terminals (being used to combined binding posts/bananna sockets) but I am glad that I have the UK spec as it has pre-outs so I can use it as a pre-amp/decoder feeding a (far) superior amp :thumbsup:

10. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the good replys, :smashin:
    I too, really hate the design of the binding posts :thumbsdow . It does sound like we have the same type of binding post.
    I wish Yamaha would have just put a 4 mm hole in the binding post and filled it with a removable plug, as is the case with my speakers.

Maybe i'll just get a custom made cable, with a banana plug on one end and a bare wire on the other :(

Thanks again for all the good replys

11. largenogin

largenogin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All you have to do is take a small knife to the binding post cap and bore into it a little taking some of the plastic out of the end. 4mm banana plugs will then fit perfectly ok into the end of the binding post cap when its screwed all the way in.

12. lardy

lardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, largenogin, will get the tools out and have a go.

13. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Post back how you get on.

Thanks for all the help guys :smashin:

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Duster

4mm plugs won't 'improve' your sound - though they may remedy problems an alternative connector is causing :); if you want (and can use) the 'best' connector go with 'Spades'.

As others have said UK legislation is such that Banana plugs are frowned upon (huwg I've seen a fair few horrors with Audiolab 8000A and 8000P with folk using all metal bodied Banana plugs; we used to always put insulation of some sort between them if we had to work around them!).

If the Yamaha doesn't have removable bungs to take Banana plugs or enough room to use Spades you would be better having the bare ends of your wires properly 'tinned'; this aids contact area and prevents corrosion of the underlying copper.

Changing your speaker cable may make your system sound different - though not guarantee to do so or be an improvement.

Your just as likely to make a change by switching interconnects further up the signal chain on your key components.

I'd try and find a way to 'audition' any cables your considering before you spend the cash.

Best regards

Joe

PS I love my QED catalogue - XT-300 is Large at 2 x3.0mm whilst XT-400 is Massive at 2 x 4.0mm :)

15. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No need to bother with a knife/scewdriver or whatever. Just push the plug hard into the end of the binding post and the cover will snap open and the plug will slot in. Piece o' ****. :)

16. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all the great replies :smashin:
    Ive really learnt loads here. :)