1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with Pioneer DVR-420H

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by morven, Dec 27, 2004.

1. morven

morven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm not very bright so please be patient.

I've just purchased the Pioneer DVR-420H DVD recorder and am having problems. I have a 12 year old Hitachi 21" TV ( I know, I know!) which has one scart socket and a fairly posh newish JVC VCR, also with scart socket.....so far, so good......no cable, no Sky, no Freeview.

Set up according to one of the suggested layouts thus...........antenna cable from wall to VCR....from VCR to DVD....from DVD to TV. Scart from TV to DVD AV1 scart socket.....scart from DVD AV2 to VCR. All 3 plugged into mains. Now for the problems.....

DVD auto set-up won't tune into channel 4. I've tried 3 times. Every other TV and VCR in the house has no problem finding channel 4. It says it can't tune direct from telly but has its own built in tuner so should be OK. Channels 1,2,3 and 5 all fine.
    Also, the VCR won't work any more apart from mechanically, so no link with TV. Is this because I only have one AVG button on my TV remote?

Apart from that, how brilliant is it being able to record directly onto the hard drive and jump around and erase with a couple of clicks!!! And so much more to learn!! First things first, any suggestions to help with my probs??

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

I have found that every Pioneer I have tried has stuck Channel 4 elsewhere than at number 4 on the recorder. Try searching through all the channels until you find it, then follow the intructions for manually swapping channel positions to move C4 to the 4 position.

Regards

Philip

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. You should tune the 420 with the VCR turned on so that the 420 finds the VCR modulator channel (which will not be 'sending' when the VCR is off).

2. If your VCR modulator output channel is close to your local channel 4 the 420 may be having trouble locking on to Channel 4. Try retuning the VCR modulator away from all your TV channels - try for a gap of about 6.

3. You should be able to watch the VCR on the TV using the aerial input taking the VCR modulator channel.
    To watch on the TV scart (from the VCR scart via the 420) you must set the 420 Video-in to Video (composite) and its Video-out to RGB if your TV will accept it otherwise Video. See page 102 of manual.
    To watch the VCR with the 420 in standby you must set Power Save Off - page 98.

4. morven

morven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philip!! xxx Thank-you, I've found channel 4 on number 10 and am now trying to follow the instructions to change it.......no luck so far but at least I can get it.

I'd now like to sort out the non working VCR.

5. morven

morven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks eddyad.....I'll try and digest your instructions and see where I get.....