Help needed with Onkyo TX SR-606 AV Receiver.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Reich Master, Aug 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I recently purchased an onkyo TX SR-606 AV Receiver used but in seemingly perfect condition all round. (even had the box!)

Everything had been working perfectly and I was very pleased with onkyo's performance. Unfortunately it generates alot of heat so i decided i'd grab a new TV stand to give it some proper ventilation. Everything was transferred okay and working perfectly till I came back home after nipping to work, turned everything on and stuck in a calibration DVD so that I could calibrate my rather bargain basement plasma. During calibration the display started to flash every sort of 10 seconds or so, each time showing a short of white fuzz over the top of the output from my PS3. (abit like if you're trying to watch freeview with a dodgy aerial) This also happens on the PS3's XMB. However weirdly this doesn't appear if I open the receivers setup OSD or im watching Freeview with the TV's built in tuner. :confused:

Can anybody help me? :facepalm:

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

My setup consists of:
    Samsung PS51E450 51" Plasma.
    Onkyo TX SR-606 AV Receiver
    Mordaunt Short 914i's with ms90* series centre and surrounds.
    Mordaunt Short MS308W subwoofer
    Cheap HDMI cables (>£5.00)
    The only thing I changed between the old stand and the new one was the speaker cable for the front speakers which is now Cambridge audio Symphony 200. But as mentioned before everything was working fine on the new stand just before I went out!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I had a similar problem on my sr606. Mine was the hdmi board in the amp which i believe is a common problem on these amps.
    The difference is that the osd was the first thing to go. The freeview will be ok as its built in the tv it wont be going through the amp.
    I would start by looking at the hdmi cables. Have you tried another hdmi cable from the ps3 to the amp? Also would be worth double checking the hdmi connections.

3. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Baron,

I was thinking it might be the HDMI board. I decided to risk buying this amp since it looked so new and had literally no dust inside! I will check the HDMI cables first of all. If it really does end up being the HDMI board I happen to still have the phone number and address of the person I bought it off on gumtree. Think I may be paying him a visit!

4. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Does the picture come on as soon as you turn the amp on or does it take a while.
    Mine used to display a black screen for a minute or so first.

5. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The amp locks on to the signal straight away and displays it instantly on my TV without issue :D This is what leads me to believe it might hopefully not be the HDMI board since what you describe seems to be one of the first symptoms of a dead/dying HDMI board.. Fingers crossed its the HDMI cable gone dodgy :)

6. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I had the dreaded HDMI board issue with my 606 but as Baron Von Doom has said the sign of the board going was it taking an increasing amount of time to send video to the screen (a problem you dont seem to have). Definitely change the HDMI cables see if thats the problem first as it doesnt sound like the HDMI board issue. are any of the HDMI connections loose?

7. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im stuck at work at the moment but im going to double triple check everything when I get home. The area around the HDMI connections had absolutely no scratches round it and looked as if it had never been used when I bought it. The seller seemed to have it set up as a huge glorified stereo. Really hoping its okay but will check those HDMI cables and Connections first!

8. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay guys,
    I am really perplexed now! HDMI cables seem to be fine. The issue doesn't occur when a TalkTalk Youview box is connected to the same HDMI that the PS3 was connected to before. (watched 20 minutes of television whilst refraining from blinking haha) And the PS3 seems to be fine when connected to the downstairs TV where the youview box normally lives. However upon connecting up the PS3 to my setup again the issue returns? >.<

I am so confused!

9. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    If you totally bypass the amp and hook ps3 straight to tv using the same cables does the problem occur?

10. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bypassing the amp and connecting direct to the TV shows no problems. Which would lead me to think it was the amp.. but how come a youview box works perfectly connected to the amp ?

11. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Do you have the deep colour option turned on on the ps3? i'd start with turning that off (assuming its on)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  12. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turned off deep colour and the problem is still present.. starting to think I have ended up with a dud receiver. :(

13. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Hopefully its just some setting it doesn't appear to be the same problem i had with the hdmi board. Do you have the option to force 1080 24p turned on? and have you tried changing the output the ps3 is doing? ie. to 1080i or 720p to see if it sorts out the problem

14. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just have to nip to work for a bit so I wont be able to test till I get back however I know that I have Force 1080 24p turned off. The main issue I have in my head is that it was all working perfectly till I turned it off and went out for an hour. Came back, turned it all on again and its developed this problem? :confused:

15. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,402
    I had almost exactly the same symptoms connecting a WD TV to a Philips TV. Turns out I had a duff HDMI cable. Changed that and haven't had the problems since.

The very fact that your YouView box works OK would lead me to look somewhere other than the amp.

You say the HDMI cable are fine. How did you test that? Have you used the same HDMI cable and same input as you used for the YouView box?

My HDMI cable that gave me problems worked absolutely fine for a few years before causing issues - I think there may be some dirt in one of the connectors, but cables are so cheap that I have never bothered trying to look for it!

My advice, if you haven't done so already, is use a different input on the amp and use a different HDMI cable (preferably one you have verified with other kit.) The symptoms described sound like a poor ground connection somewhere. Might be worth blowing air over the various connectors?

HTH

16. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dreamer,
    I have already tested a different port, starting to think maybe the hdmi cables work fine with the youview box but not the PS3? (Even though it was working before i went out?) as you can tell I am utterly perplexed! :confused:

To explain the issue better, what i am seeing are very very quick flickers of what looks like static appearing in the picture ever couple of minutes.

edit:
    Yes I have tried the youview box on the same cable and port as the PS3 at it all works dandy!

17. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,960
    It may still be a cable issue? The PS3 outputs a resolution of up to 1080p while the YouView box cannot output anything higher than 1080i. The difference doesn't on the surface of things look to be much, but is in fact what would differentiate the capabilities of a high speed categorised HDMI cable from one which is only rated as standard. You can experience HDMI issue is trying to convey 1080p via cables that are ordinarily only suitable for use with 1080i or lower resolutions. Also try changing the cable between your receiver and your TV rather than just trying different cables between source and receiver.

18. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Dante01, So say if I lowered the PS3's output resolution to 720p, I should in theory, no longer experience the issue? and this would prove that the HDMI cable is infact the problem?

19. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,960
    Yeah, you can try that, but I'd be more inclined to sort the cables out because no two HDMI devices have the same HDMI signal output so it could simply be that the PS3 output signal isn't playing nice with the cables. Not just the cable between it and the receiver, but also the cable between the receiver and your TV. In fact, the cable from the receiver to the TV may be at fault rather than the cable between the PS3 and the receiver? Just testing without the receiver in the equation isn't the best option either. As I said, all devices power their HDMI interfaces differently so you really need to test cables in conjunction with the actuall kit you'll be using it in conjunction with.

20. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok dante,

Im going to grab 2 new HDMI cables on my way home from work, i'll test it out and report back asap! :D

21. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    little update: New HDMI cables dont seem to have fixed the problem. I have replaced both the cable from the PS3 to the receiver and the cable from the receiver to the TV. Still getting the problem. any more suggestions anyone? and can I just say thanks for all the help so far.. i'd be pulling my hair out if it weren't for this forum!

22. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Did you try lower the resolution on the ps3 to see if it stopped?

23. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im just playing abit of driver: san francisco which only displays at a max of 720p.. everything seems to be working fine, ive been playing for 30 mins or so..

24. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Seems to just be related to 1080p so...try to Force 1080 24p (i know i told you to turn it off earlier but just to rule things out)

25. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the slow reply, okay so having 1080 24p on or off doesn't stop the issue. I really wish I could take a picture for you but even with my 60D its happens way to fast to capture :/

26. Reich Master

Reich Master
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, im going to attempt to reset the PS3's output settings and also reset the receiver to factory settings and see if that makes a difference..